How to Apply
*Our next potential recruitment and application period will be in Fall of 2017. We will be recruiting scholars from all majors for the 2017-2018 program year, which runs from winter through summer term of 2018. To be added to our mailing list please email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'McNair Mailing List' in the subject line.
- Review the Eligibility Requirements and FAQ page.
- Complete the Portland State University Ronald E. McNair Scholars Electronic Application Form.
- Write your Educational & Career Essay (see electronic application for details) & upload it to your electronic application.
- Include a list of Extracurricular Activities with your electronic application.
- Upload a copy of your 2015 tax forms (if self-supporting) or parent(s)’ 2015 tax forms (if dependent) to your electronic application.
- Upload your current Official PSU Transcript to your electronic application.
- Provide contact information for three references who will be providing letters of reference pertaining to your academic activities. After you submit your application, your references will receive a link to upload their recommendation letters.
- Two references must be from professors. A letter from a professor in your major is ideal. Letters from immediate family members are not acceptable.
Please send an email to the program associate director Melissa Pirie at <email@example.com>, if you have any questions or need assistance with applying for the program. Paper copies of the application are also available upon request.
The Ronald E. McNair Post-baccalaureate Achievement Program was established in 1986 by the U.S. Department of Education and named in honor of Challenger Space Shuttle astronaut Dr. Ronald E. McNair. The program, which has been on campus since 2003, is funded by a $1,155,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Education and institutional cost-share funds.