Dr. Doug Wilson

Doug Wilson was trained in the archaeology of hunter-gatherers and farmers in the American southwest and in the historical archaeology of the modern world at the University of Arizona. Since moving to the Pacific Northwest in 1992, he has studied pre-contact and historic-period sites throughout Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.  Since 2000, he has served as the archaeologist for the Vancouver National Historic Reserve, which contains the remains of Fort Vancouver (ca. 1825-1860), Hudson’s Bay Company’s supply depot and headquarters, and Vancouver Barracks (1849 to 1948), the U.S. Army’s first permanent fort in the Pacific Northwest.  He directs the Northwest Cultural Resources Institute, which integrates students from many Universities, with professional archaeologists, and volunteers with National Park Service staff to provide new scientific and historical research while interpreting the site to the public in new and interesting ways. Since 2001, he has taught the joint National Park Service/Portland State University archaeological school at the Vancouver National Historic Reserve, which incorporated Washington State University Vancouver in 2003.  Since 2004, he has served as Adjunct Associate Professor of Anthropology at Portland State University.