Paula Carder, Ph.D.
Office: URBN 470R
Institutional and socio-cultural attitudes about aging, frailty, and dementia; long-term care policies and practices; consumer demand and responses to long-term care; categories of senior housing; and qualitative methods for studying institutional and organizational practices
Dr. Carder has been the PI and co-PI of studies funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research Quality, National Institute on Aging, Oregon Partners for Alzheimer's Research, and Oregon's Department of Human Services. Current and recent projects include an evaluation of Oregon's community-based care settings, an evaluation of an affordable housing plus services demonstration project and a national review of assisted living/residential care regulations. She received her PhD. in Public Policy in 1999 from Portland State University and teaches courses in long-term care policy, health and qualitative research methods.
Oregon Community-Based Care Resident and Community Characteristics Report 2014 - Assisted Living, Residential Care, Memory Care. Paula C. Carder, PhD, Jacklyn Kohon, Aubrey Limburg, Maximilian West, Amanuel Zimam, Margaret B. Neal, PhD
Oregon Community-Based Care Characteristics of Medicaid Clients in Assisted Living, Residential Care, Memory Care, and Adult Foster Homes 2013-2014 - Paula C. Carder, Ph.D. Jacklyn Kohon, PhD, Sheryl Elliott, MUS, Aubrey Limburg, Maximilian West, Amanuel Zimam, Margaret B. Neal, Ph.D
- Carder, P.C. (2012). “Learning about your residents”: How assisted living med aides administer pro re nata (PRN) medications to persons with dementia. The Gerontologist 52(1), 46-55.
- Carder, P.C., Weinstein, J., & Kohon, J. (2011). Home Forward’s Aging in Place Initiative: Planning for Current and Future Residents. Report submitted to Home Forward (Housing Authority of Portland). Available, Institute on Aging, Portland State University
- Zimmerman, S., Love, K., Sloane, P., Reed, D., Cohen, L., & Carder, P.C. (2011). Medication Administration Errors in Assisted Living. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 59, 1060-1068.
- Cotrell, V., and Carder, P.C. (2010). Health-related needs assessment of older residents in subsidized housing. Cityscape 12(2), 47-66.
- Eckert, J.K., Carder, P.C., Morgan, L.A., Frankowski, A.C., Roth, E. (2009). Inside Assisted Living. Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Carder, P.C., Zimmerman, S., Schumacher, J.G. (2009). Understanding the intersection of individual needs and choices with organizational practices: The case of medication management in assisted living. The Gerontologist, 49, 463-473.
- Carder, P.C. (2008). Managing medication management in assisted living: A situational analysis. Journal of Ethnography and Qualitative Research, 3(1), 1-12.
- Carder, P.C., Morgan, L.M., & Eckert, J.K. (Winter 2006). Small Board-and-Care Homes in the Age of Assisted Living. Generations 29(4), 24-31.