Anyone 12 years and older can be vaccinated against Covid-19 in Oregon. This includes international students. Three vaccines are available in Oregon - Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson. The most common vaccines, Pfizer and Moderna, require two doses that are usually given 2 weeks apart. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine only requires one dose.
SHAC International Student Vaccination Clinic
New students: If you have not been vaccinated, you must plan to arrive in the US a full 30 days before the term begins so that you can get vaccinated.
SHAC will offer a vaccine clinic on August 27 for newly arrived students and a booster clinic (for the second dose of vaccine) on September 24. Please complete this survey by August 20 to inform SHAC if you need to be vaccinated at these clinics so they can be sure to have enough vaccines available.
PSU Vaccine Requirement
Portland State University will require all students attending in-person classes and all employees working on campus to be vaccinated against COVID-19 starting fall term. The vaccines have been proven safe and effective in preventing the spread of the coronavirus and are available for all Oregonians age 12 or older at no cost.
PSU will accept all WHO-approved vaccines. If you received a non-WHO approved vaccine, you should contact SHAC.
All students received an email with instructions to submit PSU's COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Form. You can also find full instructions on the SHAC Website.
>>Complete the PSU COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
Insurance and Cost
The vaccinations are FREE but vaccination sites ask people with health insurance to bring insurance information. When you go to your vaccination appointment, take your health insurance card with you.
Where to get a Vaccine
The Student Health and Counseling Center (SHAC) on campus is a vaccination site. SHAC hosts COVID-19 Vaccine Clinics most Fridays for PSU students. Students taking 5+ credits can register online using the SHAC Patient Portal. Students taking 1-4 credits should call SHAC at 503-725-2800 to schedule an appointment. SHAC is using the Moderna vaccine.
Many pharmacies also have vaccine supplies. There are several websites to help you find a vaccine. Here is the link to CDC’s (Center for Disease Control) vaccine finder website. You can choose the type of vaccine and zip code to find availability near you.
If you want to get vaccinated at a local pharmacy, check the pharmacy’s website for availability and appointment booking. These pharmacies are scheduling appointments: Walgreens, Safeway/Albertsons, Costco, Fred Meyer, Bi-Mart, Walmart, Health Mart, and CVS.
If you live in Washington State, you are also eligible for vaccination. To find a vaccine near you, click here. Then click on “Vaccine Locator” and enter your zip code. Choose a location from the list and schedule your appointment.
What about the Second Dose?
When you get a Pfizer or Moderna vaccination, you will be asked to schedule an appointment for your second dose before you leave. You cannot schedule the second dose before you get your first dose.
Other vaccination information?
- Side effects of the vaccination
- Why get vaccinated?
- After being vaccinated, continue to follow the COVID-19 safety precautions.
- If you are fully vaccinated, masks are no longer required everywhere but many stores, restaurants, and businesses still require them. Please respect these requirements.
- If you are not fully vaccinated, you are required to wear a mask.
- Gather only in small groups
- Stay home when you are sick
- Wash your hands often with soap and hand sanitizer
- Keep a 2-meter distance from people you do not live with
- For all the details about Oregon’s mask requirements, click here.
Unfortunately, there are people who may try to take advantage of this situation to get personal and / or bank information from you. Here are some things to be careful about:
- You will never be asked to give any bank, credit card, or other financial information in order to get a vaccine. If someone calls, emails, or texts you and asks for this information, DO NOT give it to them.
- You are not required to have or provide a Social Security Number to get a vaccination.
- No payment is ever required.
- The vaccine is available for anyone living in Oregon, this includes international students, scholars, and their families.
- If you get a phone call, email or text about the vaccine that asks for your social security number, bank account or credit card information, hang up. It is a scam.
PSU is requiring all students and employees to be vaccinated for Fall 2021. Here are some of the important requirements right now:
- Wear a mask or face covering at all times inside PSU buildings.
- Keep a 2 meter/6 foot social distance from others
- Stay home when you are sick
- Wash your hands often with soap and use hand sanitizer
Here is a website with PSU’s COVID-19 information and requirements.
If you want to know more about the COVID-19 vaccines, there are many resources online:
- If you live in Oregon, Oregon Health Authority
- If you live in Washington, Washington State Department of Health
- SHAC has excellent resources as well
- CDC Vaccine Finder