Search Google Appliance

Preparing to Start Work

No matter where you work in the University, our Vision, Mission and Values, and the PSU Organization Chart will assist you in navigation and your understanding of where your position is in relation to other University departments. We are continuously growing and forming many community partnerships to serve our students, area businesses and environment. Your contribution is important to us and we want to assist you in making a quick and successful transition to PSU.

Below is a summary of the paperwork and documentation needed to begin work at PSU, in addition to benefits information and deadlines. Check out the New Employee Checklist to make your startup experience at PSU a positive one.

Getting Started

Be sure to visit us at the Office of Human Resources on or before your first day of work to complete all the necessary paperwork for employment and payroll. If you are unable to do so please call our staff at 503.725.4926 to discuss how to complete the required documentation. Failure to complete the required paperwork will lead to a delay in your paycheck, benefits enrollment, access to PSU email, and other systems tools. The following table lists the New Hire Paperwork and Documentation requirements:

Please Note: IRS regulation requires that every employee’s payroll name exactly match their Social Security card to prevent misdirected social security funds. To verify this, HR must see your original Social Security card and make a copy for your file.

Getting Started Guide
Required Document What is it? What you need to do
Being Offered the Position
  • Letter of Offer (for student employees, the EPAF replaces the Letter of Offer)
    This letter confirms your employment and start date and initiates your payroll record. Sign and submit promptly after receipt, no later than your first day of work.
    Mandatory Employment Forms/Documents
    1. Employee Information Form
    2. W-4 Form
    3. I-9 Work Authorization Form & Supporting Document(s)
    4. Social Security Card
    Permanent Resident Card (for Resident Aliens)

      The first four documents are required to be completed/presented by all employees. A Permanent Resident Card is required for Resident Aliens and must be brought to HR with your completed mandatory forms.

      Direct deposit is optional but highly recommended, learn about the benefits of Direct Deposit and how to sign up.

      Refer to the Information Sheet for common questions regarding the I-9.

      Complete these forms and bring them to HR along with the required identification documents as outlined in the I-9 form AND your Social Security Card (AND Permanent Resident Card, if applicable). For remote employees who are unable to visit HR to complete the I-9 verification, follow the instructions on the Remote Hire I-9 Verification Form.

      New employees must complete and sign these forms no later than their first day of employment, and must provide supporting I-9 and work eligibility documents to HR within three business days of starting work.

      Additional Requirements for Foreign Nationals

      If you need sponsorship from PSU (such as J-1, H-1B, or TN status), you and your hiring department will need to work closely with the Office of International Affairs as early as 3-6 months before your start date to make this possible.

      On your first day of work at PSU, you will need to be able to demonstrate that you are eligible to work in the U.S.

      Complete the required forms and bring them to HR with your other required documents.

      Non-Resident Alien Tax Treaties - If your home country has negotiated a treaty with the United States and you would like to claim treaty benefits, follow the instructions at Tax Treaties & Non-Resident Alien Guidelines.

      Benefits Enrollment
      PEBB benefits begin the first of the month following BOTH your hire date into a benefits eligible position AND your completion of online enrollment through the PEBB Benefits online enrollment system OR your completion and submission of enrollment forms to HR. HR will provide you with your retirement enrollment information. If you work 600 hours or more in a calendar year, you are eligible to participate in a PSU pension plan. Enroll in PEBB benefits online before the end of the month OR complete, sign and submit paper forms to HR before the last working day of the month. You must enroll within 30 days of your hire date or you will not be covered. Midyear changes can be made for qualified life events and must be completed within 30 days of the life event.
      PSUFA-AFT Benefits
      • Apply for available grant in three different funds offering benefits to eligible members of AFT
      • You can enroll immediately in a voluntary retirement plan
      • Visit the Retirement Benefits page for information on our Pension Plans.
      The AFT Collective Bargaining Agreement with PSU offers Faculty and Researchers working less than .50 FTE an opportunity to apply for the following benefit funds:
      • Faculty Education
      • Professional Development
      • Health Insurance
      Review the programs and Eligibility to Apply criteria for the three programs. Then complete the applicable form(s) as outlined and submit to the address shown.

      Revised 7/17/2017