Fragrance-Free Value Statement
The ingredients in many fragrances and scents are known to irritate the respiratory tract, nervous system, and eyes; lower immunity to disease; and trigger allergies and other severe health reactions. In the case of asthma and epilepsy, reactions triggered by exposure to scented products can be life-threatening.
Portland State University supports sustaining healthy indoor air quality. In the interest of promoting the health and safety of the University's students, faculty, staff, and visitors, the campus community is encouraged to maintain a fragrance-free environment. Please refrain from using scented personal care, laundry, and cleaning products. Thank you for your consideration of others in providing an environment in which every person on campus can feel safe and comfortable.
What Can Supervisors Do To Respond to Employee Concerns About Fragrances?
- For more information on the prevalence of allergies and asthma and the effects of these health conditions, please refer to the website for the Allergies and Asthma Foundation (http://www.aafa.org/).
- A table tent message is available through Human Resources for display in departments to encourage voluntary compliance with this value. If you do not have the table tent, please contact the Human Resources Department at ext. 4926.
- The PSU Professional Standards of Conduct policy outlines, among other things, a university goal to maintain a respectful environment for employees, students and faculty. This can be a helpful reference if concerns arise.
- Most employee performance expectations outline expectations related to maintaining positive working relationships and can serve as another good reference point in discussions with staff.
- If concerns persist about maintaining a fragrance-free environment at PSU, please contact either the Safety Officer or a Human Resources representative to discuss possible solutions and/or strategies to respond.