The Residential Leadership & Engagement Center (ReLEC) is a pioneering endeavor to centralize our efforts around student engagement within the residence halls at Portland State University. Using University Housing & Residence Life’s mission of student success and engagement as a guidepost, we have created an imaginative platform for enriching the student experience and designed engaging opportunities in order to create a sense of belonging in our residential communities.
ReLEC is a hub for people to come together and share their stories, learn from one another, and find a deep connection within the larger residential community.
In our space you will find:
- A lounge for residents to socialize in
- Student led organizations like the Residence Hall Association (RHA), Hall/Area Councils, and the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)
- Student leaders who can help you get connected to co-curricular activities on campus
- Resources for building leadership skills
- Regularly scheduled social events and off campus excursions
- Free coffee/tea
- A community of engaged Portland State students, leaders, and staff
- Smart classroom technology for events and large student group meetings
Building Your Community.
Developing a community of people that support and engage with you has never been easier. We have numerous ways in which you can meet new people, build upon existing relationships, and fearlessly embark on your leadership journey in a global community. Here are a select few ways in which you can connect with us.
- UHRL has two student-led organizations: The Residence Hall Association (RHA), which includes our various hall/area councils, and the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) Viking Chapter. RHA is your residence hall government and focuses on student advocacy and social engagement while NRHH is a leadership based honorary focused on community service and recognition. Learn more about and join these organizations.
- During Viking Days, we host an Annual Open House for new and returning students. This is a resource fair with free breakfast food and coffee/tea. This event is a chance to engage with our student organizations and learn more about how you can get involved on campus.
- VikNights is our weekend events initiative that offers you the chance to get out into the Portland Metro and experience “must-do” events in the city. Previous events have included going to SkyHigh, professional sporting events, viewing blockbuster movies, and getting out into the surrounding nature. All of these events are free or at a reduced cost. You can sign up for an event through the Housing Portal.
- Each month we host a colloquial convo with faculty/staff on campus. Faculty/staff discuss a specific topic for 15-20 minutes and then the audience engages in an organic conversation around the topic for the remaining 25-30 minutes.
- We have weekly themed events like documentary and TedTalk viewing parties with guided discussions afterwards, wellness programming geared towards relieving stress and centering yourself, and a regular series of board games and field games to simply wash away the stressors that come with your various responsibilities.