MAY 7, 2020 - FALL 2020 CONTINGENCY STATEMENT
We have received a number of inquiries regarding COVID-19 and how it may affect housing for fall term. At this time, the class schedule for Fall reflects our planning for a return to campus with in-person classes. If remote delivery restrictions are necessary for the fall term, we will be flexible and supportive of our students.
We have extended our priority deadline to Monday, June 1st. Students who submit contracts by June 1st and are open to any unit type are guaranteed housing. We make housing assignments in the order that contracts are received, so it’s always a good idea for students to submit their housing contract as soon as possible.
It is of the utmost importance for us to continue to provide on-campus housing for students who need us. If PSU moves to a fully remote fall term, students will still be welcome to live on campus.
Universities will likely receive guidance for a phased approach to managing COVID-19 as conditions improve or change. In all phases, housing can and will remain open. But depending on the phase we are in, you might see the following alterations to our normal operations:
- Single rooms only (charged at the lower double rate for those who would otherwise be in a double room) until we have moved into a phase that allows for double occupancy
- Dining Room take-out only until we move to a phase that would allow the Dining Room to be open for sit down meals.
- Lounges closed until we reach a phase that would allow for limited opening with proper physical distancing
- Programs and activities limited at first until we reach a phase that allows us to have in-person programming; virtual activities and programs are ongoing
- Physical distancing requirements, including use of face masks in public areas (e.g. hallways, elevators, laundry rooms, etc.)
In the event that classes are remote for the entire fall term, students may still live on campus. We will also offer two other options:
- Defer their contract to move in for the winter term, holding a space to ensure they can move in at that time. Students would not be billed for fall if they defer their housing to winter term before August 1.
- Cancel their academic year contract before August 1 without a cancellation fee.
Please encourage students planning to live on campus to log into the Housing Portal and complete their housing contract.
Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns. While our office in Broadway is currently closed, we are available via email at email@example.com and by phone at (503) 725-4375. We are here to help.
University Housing and Residence Life