MAY 6, 2020 - HOUSING PLANS FOR FALL TERM
Dear Future Residents,
We are writing today because a few of you have reached out to us regarding COVID-19 and how it may affect housing for fall term. At this time, the class schedule for Fall reflects our planning for a return to campus with in-person classes. If this is not the case, we want you to feel confident that we will be communicative and supportive of you.
It is of the utmost importance for us to continue to provide on-campus housing for students who need us. If PSU moves to a fully remote fall term, you will still be welcome to live on campus.
Universities will likely receive guidance for a phased approach to managing COVID-19 as conditions improve or change. In all phases, housing can and will remain open. But depending on the phase we are in, you might see the following alterations to our normal operations:
- Single rooms only (charged at the lower double rate) until we have moved into a phase that allows for double occupancy
- Dining Room take-out only until we move to a phase that would allow the Dining Room to be open
- Lounges closed until we reach a phase that would allow for limited opening with proper physical distancing
- Programs and activities limited at first until we reach a phase that allows us to have in-person programming; virtual activities and programs are ongoing
- Physical distancing requirements, including use of face masks in public areas (e.g. hallways, elevators, laundry rooms, etc).
In the event that classes are remote for the entire fall term, you would be given the option to cancel your academic year contract before August 1 without a cancellation fee. You will also be given the opportunity to defer your contract to move in for the winter term, holding your space to ensure you can move in at that time. You would not be billed for fall if you defer your housing to winter term before August 1.
Some of you have already received and confirmed your Fall 2020 housing assignment. If you have not yet received your housing assignment for the coming academic year, you will receive it soon. Please keep an eye on your email and be sure to accept your assignment to secure your space.
As always, please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns. We are here to help.
University Housing and Residence Life