Student Resources

Below is a collection of some of the key resources available in the Department and across the Portland State University campus to help support your graduate school experience. If you don't find what you need, please let us know so we can connect you with the right person, office, or resource. 




Paying for School

Students should check with the University Office of Financial Aid for a complete listing of available sources and grant and loan requirements. Additionally, the Office of Graduate Studies has an excellent webpage with detailed information about financing your graduate education. Below is a summary of the three major funding categories for graduate students, with links to additional information:

  1. On-campus graduate assistant positions
  2. Loans and work study available through the University’s Office of Financial Aid
  3. Awards, grants, and scholarships available through PSU 

Graduate Assistantships and Student Worker Positions

Research and administrative assistant opportunities occasionally become available through the College of Urban and Public Affairs and Hatfield School of Government. Additionally, the Center for Public Service and Institute for Nonprofit Management may fund student worker positions as needed to help carry out consulting projects. Keep an eye out for announcements on Public Administration Department list servs, and be sure to let your advisor and other faculty members know if you are interested in these types of opportunities.

Graduate assistant positions may also be available through other departments across campus. Please check out the Office of Graduate Studies webpage for current openings. Students interested in applying for graduate assistantships must have regular admission status and maintain good standing in the graduate program. GA positions also require that students be registered for, and satisfactorily complete, a minimum of nine graduate credits each term with the exception of summer term. Graduate assistants usually receive tuition remission and a stipend.

Financial Assistance Available Through the University

Information about the different types of aid is available from the Office of Financial Aid. First time graduate students should review the guidelines available from the Office of Financial Aid, and continuing graduate students can find information about financial aid policies, disbursement, and requirements here


University-wide scholarship information is available online and in the PSU Scholarship Database. Be sure to check out scholarship opportunities through the College of Urban and Public Affairs! Statewide, the Office of Student Access and Completion (OSAC) is a great resource for information and opportunities to help finance your education.

Summary list of Awards / Scholarships available to students in the MPA, MPA:HA, MPP, and PAP programs.


Campus Resources

Computer Labs 


  • The Branford P. Millar Library (503-725-3065) holds over one million volumes and more than 10,000 subscriptions and serials in support of teaching and research. The Information Desk, Reserve Section, guides to library use, and catalog files are located on the ground floor. The library has an online public access catalog file; most periodicals and some electronic books are accessible online. PSU students also have access to additional materials through interlibrary loan (ILL)
  • Emily Ford, our Public Administration Librarian, can provide additional assistance for MPA students. 
  • The Dirce Moroni Toulan Library is on the 7th floor of the CUPA building. As of Spring 2015, MPA textbooks are available on reserve and for checkout. This library also has a nice quiet study area with a great view of the city! 

    Health and Well-being

    • All students enrolled in five or more credits per term have access to the Center for Student Health and Counseling (SHAC), which provides mental health, physical health, dental health, and testing services. More detailed information about eligibility, billing, and services are available on the SHAC website.
    • Get out and play with Campus Rec! Membership is included in your quarterly tuition and fees, and provides you with access to top-of-the-line machines, fitness classes, outdoor adventure trips, and more.
    • On campus late and feeling uncomfortable? You can call 503-725-4407 for a Campus Public Safety escort. More resources and services are available on the Campus Public Safety website.
    • If you or someone you know needs crisis support, contact the CARE Team online or at 503-725-4404 for 24/7 immediate assistance.

    Urban Center

    • Take a break in the Student Lounge, located on the 2nd Floor of the Urban Center. This space has couches, a small kitchen (including a microwave), and vending machines. 
    • Tired of lugging your stuff around? As a graduate student, you can reserve a locker on the second floor of the Urban Center Building. Check with the Nohad A. Toulan School of Urban Studies and Planning on the third floor regarding availability.
    • Transportation and Parking Services is your one-stop shop for a subsidized public transit pass, bicycling programs and resources, carpooling and carsharing, and parking permits.

      Academic Support

      Professional Development

      We've provided links to some of the prominent professional associations, networking opportunities, employers, and other professional development resources that may be of interest to public administration students. Be sure to talk to your advisor and other faculty members about additional resources!

      All Professionals:


      Natural Resources


      Public Health