Stratford Hall

Stratford Residence Hall, 2010
Building Code 
STFD
Address 
1609 SW 10th Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97201-3263
Block 
242
Year Built 
1927
Levels 
3

The Stratford Hall is a former student residence repurposed as temporary office space during the renovation of Neuberger Hall (2017-2019). Stratford is located at the intersection of Eleventh and Market, facing Harder House to the east, and standing just north of Science Building 1. The building is three-stories tall and contains office space for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Stratford was designed by the architect Charles Walter Ertz (1887-1979) in 1927 as an apartment complex for Paul R. Spath. The building and its then adjacent vacant lot was acquired by Portland State in 1962/63 for a combined cost of $72,500 with the intention to remove it.  Instead Stratford was re-purposed as on-campus housing for Portland State students and overseen by Portland Student Services (later called College Housing Northwest) beginning in 1969.  It continued as a campus residence until July 2017 and is now scheduled for demolition in 2019 following the completion the Neuberger Hall renovation.

Building Occupants
English
OIT
World Languages and Literature

Historical Photos
Stratford Residence Hall in the University Digital Gallery

Square Footage
Gross Square Footage: 22,950
Net Assignable Square Footage: 14,586

Floorplan 
ADA Accessibility