Richard & Maurine Neuberger Center

Richard & Maurine Neuberger Center (RMNC) exterior elevation 3/4 profile
Building Code 
RMNC
Address 
1600 SW 4th Avenue, Portland, OR 97201
Block 
087
Year Built 
1968
Levels 
12

Richard & Maurine Neuberger Center (RMNC) is a nine-story concrete and glass building on SW 4th Avenue between Market and Mill Streets. The building includes two-levels of parking for 177 vehicles including 106 permit, 64 paid-hourly, and 7 accessible parking places. The main entry is accessed via a stairway along SW 4th Avenue. Currently, the only accessible entry is located by traveling through the upper parking level entrance along Market Street to the east-side entrance.

RMNC was originally constructed in 1968 as part of the South Auditorium Urban Renewal Project. It was designed by architects, Skidmore Owings & Merrill, as an office building called the Portland Center. The building was later acquired by Boise Cascade before passing to the Cellular One company in the 1990s. Cellular One was then acquired by AT&T and later became Cingular Wireless with the building changing its name to reflect these various telecommunication name changes. 

PSU began leasing space on the 8th floor starting in 2006 before purchasing the entire property in 2012.  RMNC currently houses the Office of the President and serves as the central hub of PSU's administration.

On December 6, 2018 the building was re-named the Richard & Maurine Neuberger Center in honor of Richard and Maurine Neuberger. The name Neuberger has been associated with Portland State University since well before 1972 when PSU renamed the former South Park Hall after journalist, politician, and longtime PSU supporter, Richard L. Neuberger. The new name was chosen by the University as a way of carrying on the Neuberger name while the old Neuberger Hall – which eventually will be called something else – undergoes a massive renovation. Oregon Sen. Richard Neuberger and his wife, Rep. Maurine Neuberger, worked for years in the Oregon Legislature to establish Portland State (at that time the Vanport Extension Center) as a four-year college. Their work paid off when a bill establishing Portland State as a degree-granting institution was passed into law in February 1955. The college gained university status in 1969.

Building Occupants
Academic Innovation and Student Success
Admissions & New Student Programs
Campus Accounting  Services
Campus Planning Office
Campus Sustainability Office
Center for Improvement of of Child and Family Services
Center for Interdisciplinary Mentoring Research
CLAS Departmental Research Support Services
Conflict Resolution
Contracting  and Procurement Services
CUPA Community Environmental Services
Finance and Administration
Financial Reporting
General Counsel
Global Diversity and Inclusion
Human Resources
Institute for Sustainable Solutions
Office of Institutional Research and Planning
Office of the President
Pathways Research & Training Center  
Projecting Accounting
Provosts Office
PSU Foundation
Reclaiming Futures
Regional Research Institute
Research and Strategic Partnerships
Sponsored Projects Administration
Survey Research Lab
University Communications
University Financial Services

Building Naming History
Market Center Building (MCB), 2008-2018
Cingular Wireless Center, 2006-2008
AT&T Building (AT&T), 1997-2005
Cellular One Building, 1992-1997
Boise Cascade Office Building, 1981-1992
Portland Center Building, 1967-1981

Additional Resources

All Gender Restrooms: Six single-occupancy restrooms in the following locations: Floor 1 - Room 124; Floor 5 - Room 522; Floor 6 - Room 601; Floor 7 - Room 701; Floor 8 - Room 801; Floor 9 - Room 970.
Lactation Station: Room 519

Square Footage
Building Gross Square Footage: 123,237

Building Net Assignable Square Footage: 98,139

Parking Gross Square Footage: 62,082
Parking Net Assignable Square Footage: 49,439

Floorplan 
ADA Accessibility