I will be living with a relative or host family while studying at Portland State. Am I required to submit a bank statement for the full amount of the estimated living expenses to show proof of financial resources?

No, although the bank statement must cover the cost of tuition for the first year of study, proof of adequate resources for living expenses can be included in the bank statement or shown in the following way:

  • The sponsor can submit a written statement from their employer. The letter must be on business stationery and indicate the job title, dates and nature of employment, annual salary, and whether the position is temporary or permanent.
Your sponsor must be a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, or legally authorized to work in the United States. He or she cannot be an international student on an F-1 or or J-1 visa.