I graduated from a U.S. high school. Is that sufficient proof of English proficiency?

No, graduating from a U.S. high school is not valid proof of English language proficiency. Similarly, the following are not valid proof of English proficiency:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam scores that are lower than the minimum required by Portland State
  • TOEFL or IELTS exam scores that are more than two years old (unless you have lived continuously in the United States since the exam date)
  • institutional TOEFL scores from any school except Portland State
  • completion of an English as a Second Language (ESL) program at any school except Portland State
  • successful completion of English, writing, or literature courses at any college or university
  • an associates degree from a community college in the United States