Search Google Appliance

Masters plus Initial Administrator License (M+IAL) - Additional Programmatic Information

  • In order to be admitted to the program, students must be able to verify that they received their previous degree(s) from an accredited institution. Students must also be able to verify that they received a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for any undergraduate and/or graduate coursework. For additional admission requirements, visit the IAL admissions page.
  • A Master of Arts differs from a Master of Science in that there is a second language proficiency requirement for Master's of Arts degrees. You can find additional information on the Office of Graduate Studies website.
  • It is a University requirement that students register and pay for at least one credit in the term they are admitted. Failure to do so will result in automatic cancellation of your admission. If you need to change the term for which you intend to begin classes after you have submitted your application, please contact the ELP department at 503-725-4633 to discuss your options.
  • Students may enroll in courses prior to formal admission into the program. Pre-admission credits are defined as credits taken at any institution, including PSU before the term of formal admission.
  • Students may also transfer credit hours into the degree program subject to approval by the department. These credits are defined as credits earned at any institution other than Portland State University. 
  • Students are limited to 15 credits of any combination of pre-admission and transfer credits to use towards their degree. Courses must not have been used towards any other degree. Courses with grades lower than a “B” and those graded as “Pass/No Pass” are not transferable into the program.
  • Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better to remain in good academic standing.  
  • Subject to the approval of the instructor, students have a maximum of one year to remove an I (Incomplete) grade. 
  • Any course graded M (Missing) can be changed to a letter grade within one term.  If the M is not changed to a grade after one term, it will become an X (No Basis for Grade), which cannot be changed to a grade at a future time. It is the student’s responsibility to monitor their grades after each term and contact the instructor if there is an inconsistency.
  • Students must be enrolled for at least one credit during the term they complete their comprehensive examination, thesis, or project.
  • Graduation forms and other paperwork are due the first week of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate. 
  • No credits over 7 years old at the time of graduation can be counted toward a degree. 
  • It is possible to substitute program courses based on past experience and study. However, students must still complete 45 credits to earn a degree. To have a course substituted for an IAL requirement student must submit a Petition for Course Substitution and indicate which course is comparable, provide an official transcript and either a syllabus or catalog description of the course taken. This process should only be initiated once a faculty advisor has been notified and approved the substitution.