Search Google Appliance

Leadership for Sustainability Education - Additional Programmatic Information

University requirements

  • In order to be admitted to the program, students must be able to verify that they received their previous degree(s) from an accredited institution. Students must also be able to verify that they received a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for any undergraduate and/or graduate coursework. 
  • International students must have an official TOEFL score report sent directly to PSU Office of Admission from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). You can check TOEFL requirements here. Have the report mailed to: PSU, Office of Admissions and Records, P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207
  • A Master of Arts differs from a Master of Science in that there is a second language proficiency requirement for Master's of Arts degrees. You can find additional information here.
  • It is a University requirement that students register and pay for at least one credit in the term they are admitted. Failure to do so will result in automatic cancellation of your admission. If you need to change the term for which you intend to begin classes after you have submitted your application, please contact the ELP department at 503-725-4633 to discuss your options.


  • Students may enroll in courses prior to formal admission into the program. Pre-admission credits are defined as credits taken at any institution, including PSU before the term of formal admission.
  • Students may also transfer credit hours into the degree program subject to approval by the department. These credits are defined as credits earned at any institution other than Portland State University. 
  • Students are limited to 15 credits of any combination of pre-admission and transfer credits to use towards their degree. Courses must not have been used towards any other degree. Courses with grades lower than a “B” and those graded as “Pass/No Pass” are not transferable into the program.


  • Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better to remain in good academic standing. No more than four credits graded as “C” are allowed and must be approved for use towards a degree by your faculty advisor.
  • Subject to the approval of the instructor, students have a maximum of one year to remove an I (Incomplete) grade.
  • Any course graded M (Missing) can changed to a letter grade within one term. If the M is not changed to a grade after one term, it will become an X (No Basis for Grade), which cannot be changed to a grade at a future time. It is the student’s responsibility to monitor their grades after each term and contact the instructor if there is an inconsistency.
  • A maximum of 6 credits of ELP 506: Self-Directed Learning and 6 credits of ELP 509: Internship/Practicum can be used toward the master’s degree. Additionally, a maximum of 6 credits of ELP 501, 505, and 506 combined can be used. A maximum of 3 credits in ELP 508 can be used. 

Credit limitations

  • Graduate assistantship-related practicum or research credits, designated as 501a or 509a, cannot be applied toward the master’s or doctoral degree. 
  • A maximum of 6 credits of 810 can be used towards the master’s degree, however, an adviser must approve use of these credits in advance, and the courses must be taken for a letter grade.  808 credits cannot be used toward a graduate degree. 
  • All coursework applied toward the master’s degree must be letter-graded, except ELP 506: Self-Directed Learning, ELP 506: Comprehensive Examination Project, ELP 509: Internship/Practicum, and ELP 503: Thesis. These courses are only offered P/NP. 
  • Students must be enrolled for at least one credit during the term they complete their comprehensive examination or thesis.


  • Graduation forms and other paperwork are due the first week of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate.
  • No credits over 7 years old at the time of graduation can be counted toward a degree.
Graduate assistantships
  • Only a few graduate assistantships are available each year. Graduate assistants are required to complete 9 credits of course work each quarter for the entire academic year. The Office of Graduate Studies keeps a list of available assistantships on their website. For other financial assistance information, contact the financial aid office, 503-725-3461.