Education Administration Licensure Specialization

A program for those interested in educational administration in K-12 settings.

Education administration mission statement

Underlying all programs in the ELP Department is the assumption that, at every level, traditional approaches to education and schooling should be challenged. Additionally, our programs reflect a commitment to leadership that both models and teaches a curriculum responsive to social justice and the increasing diversity characterizing Oregon's communities.

Education administration guiding principles

Six core beliefs drive the knowledge, skills, and practices we seek to develop in Executive Leadership participants:

  • All learners can be successful
  • Learning activities must build on individual strengths and life experiences rather than deficiencies
  • Curriculum and instructional practices must be designed to include and facilitate the personal development of the increasingly diverse population of learners served in metropolitan areas
  • Reflective practice is a characteristic of the professional educator
  • Lifelong learning and personal responsibility are goals of the professional educator
  • Schools are fluid organizational systems that must adjust internally to be responsive to the communities they serve

Program description

The ELP Department offers three programs for those interested in educational administration in K-12 settings:

The Educational Leadership and Policy Department (ELP) offers the Initial Administrator License (IAL), a Master of Science or Master of Arts in Education with a specialization in Initial Administrator License (M+IAL), and the Continuing Administrator License (CAL).  Please send initial inquiries about the educational administration program to

The College of Education doctoral program in educational leadership also offers a specialization in administration. For more information, please visit the doctoral program site.

Information sessions for the Initial Administrator (IAL) or Continuing Administrator (CAL) License program are regularly scheduled. Bring a colleague or two along!

*Master of Arts degree requires proficiency in a foreign language. The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures (503-725-3522) administers the language examination taken any time prior to one's final term.

Additional financial information