FAQs - Getting Started

Q: How do I learn more about Study Abroad?

A: Talk to a Study Abroad Peer Advisor.  Peer Advisors have drop-in advising hours nearly every day and are excited to help you get started on the process so that you can study abroad.  You can also schedule an advising appointment with a Peer Advisor. You can also drop in on one of our weekly information sessions held Fridays from Noon to 1:00 pm in East Hall 212.  To meet with our peer advisors or attend our weekly information session, please check in at East Hall 101.  Additionally, you may want to browse our viewbook to read what other PSU students are saying about study abroad. 

Q: When should I apply to study abroad?
A: Generally, you should begin the application process at least six months before you intend to study abroad. See Upcoming Application Deadlines to learn more.

Q: What is involved in the application process?
A: You will need to create a VikingsAbroad profile, which is the online system in which you can apply to programs, make appointments with advisors, and track your progress during the application process.

Q: How do I start a VikingsAbroad Profile?
Click here for a step-by-step guide. 

Q: What steps are required to complete the application process?
A: Most program applications require the following: application form, 1 - 2 academic references, official transcripts from all institutions attended, statement of purpose, and a non-refundable application fee. After applying you will be interviewed by a study abroad advisor and later notified if you are accepted into your program.

Q: How competitive is selection for study abroad programs?

A: Programs vary in their competitiveness, but in most cases if you have a good academic record, strong references, and solid purpose statements, you'll be a successful candidate for your desired program.

Q: Do I have to know a foreign language?
A: No. Many programs are available in English-speaking countries or countries where English is the language of instruction. However, many programs offer the opportunity to increase your fluency by requiring some knowledge of its country’s language.

Q: How do I go about getting an enrollment verification?
A: You can print official verifications of enrollment by following the “Enrollment Verification” link in the Student Service portion of the PSU Information System. The link connects to the NSCH Student Self-Service site; click on the link and follow the prompts to obtain an official verification.  Instructions on this process.

Q: What do I need to consider if I have a disability?
A: We welcome applicants with disabilities to apply to the program.  Please let us know as soon as you are able that you have a disability and your Education Abroad advisor will begin working with you to ensure you have the most accessible experience possible.

Q: I already know what program I want to apply to, what do I do next?
 Email the advisor responsible for your program and let them know you are ready to start a program application. Make sure you have created a VikingsAbroad profile first, and have completed the Advising Requirement

Q: If I want to meet with an Advisor, how do I make an advising appointment?
A: Click here for more information.