Admission Requirements for Master's in Economics
Application to the Master’s program is online and can be accessed through the Graduate School’s website. Please go to https://www.pdx.edu/gradschool to access the application. You will need to have the following documents ready to upload into your application:
- Transcripts from EVERY college or university you have attended, even if you only took one course
- GRE/GMAT scores, if they have been taken, or the anticipated date for taking the exam
- English-language proficiency test scores, if they have been taken, or the anticipated date for taking the exam (international students only)
Requirements for admission to the Master’s program in the Department of Economics are as follows:
- GPA Requirements: A minimum of 3.00 GPA in overall undergraduate coursework AND a minimum of a 3.00 GPA in economics coursework. If you have already completed graduate coursework, a cumulative GPA of 3.00 in all graduate credit earned at accredited institutions is required.
- Coursework: The following undergraduate courses are required:
- Intermediate Microeconomics
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
- Univariate and Multivariate Calculus
- Linear Algebra
- Courses in Mathematical Economics and Advanced Calculus are recommended but not required.
- Testing: GRE scores of 300 (quantitative and verbal combined) or higher. Request that Educational Testing Services (ETS) send a copy of your scores to code #4610 (Portland State University) when registering. Either the TOEFL or IELTS is required for University admission for international students, unless they have a U.S. university degree. See University minimum TOEFL/IELTS requirements at https://www.pdx.edu/admissions/international/english-language-proficiency. The GMAT with a score of 520 or higher may be considered in lieu of the GRE. Applicants must upload a copy of their GRE/GMAT scores, complete the section requesting the scores or indicate the date the exam will be taken.
- Statement of Purpose: Approximately 500-word essay on goals and aspirations for the graduate program. This is to be done as part of the online application.
- Recommendations: Three (3) letters of recommendation. It is preferred that at least two of the recommendations be from Economics professors. This is to be done as part of the online application.
- Transcripts: A transcript from any university you have attended other than PSU must by uploaded to the online application. Upon acceptance to the University, official transcripts must be sent by your previous institutions to The Graduate School, Portland State University, P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751.
- Admissions Deadlines: The Department of Economics follows a rolling admission policy for the graduate program. Even though the Departmental graduate committee reviews all submitted applications regardless of when they are submitted, the following deadlines are recommended.
- Fall or Summer admission: February 1
- Winter admission: September 1
- Spring admission: November 1
For the Fall term, the priority application deadline is February 1st. Among the Fall term applicants who wish to be considered for Graduate Assistantship, preference is given to those who submit their application by the priority deadline of February 1st. We continue to consider applicants who submit their application after the priority deadline, but their likelihood of receiving a Graduate Assistantship is lower. All fall term applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their application prior to priority deadline.
For more information including degree requirements, tuition and fees, and internships, please see our Graduate Handbook.