Information & Resources Concerning Recent Presidential Action
Do you need help and support during this time?
Following recent executive action from the White House, the Office of Global Diversity and Inclusion would like to take a moment to reaffirm our commitment to making Portland State University a place of support, access, inclusion, and welcome for all. As a designated sanctuary campus, the Portland State community shares a commitment to the protection and support of all of our students, regardless of immigration status, national origin, religion, or any similar characteristics. We honor, respect, embrace, and value the unique contributions of all students, faculty, employees, volunteers, and our local and global communities.
Feel free to contact us by phone (503.725.5919), or in person at our office in the Market Center Building, Suite 830. Our doors are always open for those seeking support and resources.
The following resources have been collected from various areas across PSU and online, and presented here for ease of access.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Have you experienced threats or harassment?
Contact the Campus Public Safety Office at 503.725.4404 for emergencies, or 503.725.4407 for non-emergencies.
Have you experienced discrimination?
Students experiencing discrimination should contact the Office of Global Diversity and Inclusion at 503.725.5919. If it involves another student, please contact the Dean of Student Life at 503.725.4422.
Announcements from the office of PSU President Wim Wiewel on Immigration:
- View Portland State University President Wim Wiewel's public letter here.
- Read President Wim Wiewel's letter to U.S. Senator Jeff Merkley here.
- Read President Wiewel's declaration of PSU as a sanctuary campus here.
Immigration Legal Resources:
Portland State University offers comprehensive legal services, including free confidential immigration consultation for PSU students through Student Legal Services. Students, staff, and faculty can also find additional legal resources by following the links below.
- PSU Student Legal Services Immigration Clinic
- Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services
- Sponsors Organized to Assist Refugees (SOAR) Legal Services
- Immigration Counseling and Advocacy Program (ICAP)
- Immigration Counseling Service (ICS)
- Oregon Immigration Resource
Important Information from the Higher Education Coordinating Commission:
- View the DACA advisory from the NW Immigrant Rights Project here.
- Download the "Protect Yourself from Immigration Raids" resource in English here.
- Download the "Protect Yourself from Immigration Raids" resource in Spanish here.
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU):
The ACLU has numerous resources available at their website: aclu.org.
Here is a list of other PSU resources for students, faculty, and staff:
- Office of International Affairs
- International Student and Scholar Services
- PSU Cultural Resource Centers Statement on Immigration Ban
- Center for Student Health and Counseling
Local Immigrant and Refugee Resources:
- Portland Refugee and Immigrant Community Resources Directory
- Immigrant & Refugee Community Organization (IRCO)
- Unite Oregon (formerly Center for Intercultural Organizing)
- Muslim Educational Trust (MET)
- Islamic Social Services of Oregon State (ISOS)
- Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon (APANO)
- Latino Network
- Adelante Mujeres
- Causa - Oregon's Immigrant Rights Organization
- African Women's Coalition
- Africa House
- One Oregon
- Oregon Immigration Resource
National Immigrant and Refugee Resources:
- Anti-Defamation League (ADL)
- Black Alliance for Just Immigration
- Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
- Families for Freedom
- Immigrant Defense Project
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center
- Interfaith Movement for Justice
- International Rescue Committee
- International Refugee Assistance Project
- Mariposas Sin Fronteras
- National Immigration Law Center
- National Immigration Forum
- Northwest Immigrant Rights
- Southern Poverty Law Center