Transfer Students with Disabilities

This page is meant to help disabled students who are transferring to Portland State University (PSU) in navigating accessibility and setting up accommodations.

We recommend that you begin the process of working with us as early as possible (it’s never too early). Reaching out a month or more in advance of your first class will give us the best possible chance to support you from day one at PSU!

Do my accommodations automatically transfer with me?

No. In order to have accommodations at PSU, you need to register with the Disability Resource Center (DRC).

When should I contact the DRC?

It's never too early! We advise new students to contact the DRC prior to their first term on campus. Keep in mind that accommodations are not retroactive, so you must have DRC support in place prior to the time you need accommodations.

How do I register with the DRC?

The process is simple:

  1. Fill out our online Application for Accommodation form (contact the DRC office if you don't have a PSU account).
  2. Contact the DRC Front Desk, call 503-725-4150, or email to schedule your initial appointment with an Access Counselor & Consultant. Check our home page for hours and information.
  3. For more information on how to register with the DRC, visit our How to Request Accommodations page. 

Do I need to get updated documentation?

Not necessarily. We recommend that you schedule your initial appointment and meet with an Access Counselor & Consultant (AC&C) to discuss accommodations. The AC&C will let you know if additional information is needed.

How do I get my documentation or DS records from my previous college?

When possible, we recommend that you collect the following information from your current school:

  • Documentation that may be on file with the school
  • A list of your accommodations

You should be able to obtain this information by calling your current or previous school's Disability Services office to request that they send this information directly to you.

An alternative way is to contact our office to request a release of information form to fill out and return to our office. We will send the completed form to your previous school to request the information.

Does the DRC automatically send out accommodation notifications each term, or do I do that?

Your AC&C will explain how to access your services. Each term, you will log into our DRC Online system and select the accommodations you need for each class.  After you complete your service requests, you and your instructors will receive your faculty letter, which identifies you as a student registered with the DRC and lists the accommodations you have chosen for their classes. Keep in mind that accommodations begin at the time you enter your service request, and are not retroactive.



General Information About Transferring to PSU

You can visit the following sites for in-depth information about the process of transferring to PSU.

General information for transfer students

Transfer Checklist

Transfer & Returning Student Resource Center

Transfer Housing Options

If you have questions about the information on this page, please contact the Disability Resource Center.

Phone: 503-725-4150

Check our home page for our hours.