PSU Alerts & Timely Warnings
The PSU Campus Public Safety Office can issue two types of notification messages: Timely Warnings and PSU Alerts. Whether to issue a timely warning or a PSU Alert (and the content of the messages) is decided on a case-by-case basis, considering all the facts, including the nature of the incident, the continuing danger to the campus community, the promotion of safety, and the possible risk of compromising law enforcement efforts.
When the Campus Public Safety Office learns of crimes covered by the Clery Act, it will consider whether to issue a campus-wide “timely warning” about the threat. A “timely warning” may be issued if, in the judgment of the Director of the Campus Public Safety Office or the University Vice President of Finance and Administration, a crime or potential crime constitutes a serious or continuing threat to the campus community. Timely warnings may be issued in a variety of methods, depending on the circumstances of the crime. These can include:
- Campus Wide E-Mail – Disseminated by University News and Communication at the direction of the Chief of Campus Public Safety and the Vice President of Finance and Administration.
- PSU Campus Announcement System – via myPSU Portal under the “Daily Messages” channel.
- Printed Notice – when appropriate may be posted at campus locations affected by the emergency.
- Website Posting – public safety issues of on-going concern to the campus community are posted on the Campus Public Safety Office web site, under Timely Warnings.
- Local Media – may also be provided information when the risk of harm in a particular incident can reasonably be expected to extend to off-campus areas.
If a significant emergency or dangerous situation occurs on campus that, in the judgment of the Director of the Campus Public Safety Office or the University Vice President of Finance and Administration, creates an immediate threat to the health or safety of students or employees, or otherwise warrants a notification, a “PSU Alert” emergency notification can be issued. For example, emergency notifications may include notices of campus closure or delayed opening, a fire, gas leak, or an outbreak of a communicable disease, as well as a notice of a Clery reportable crime. Visit PSU Alert for more information.
PSU Alert messages may be issued in a variety of methods, depending on the incident. These can include:
- Email (from firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Text message (from: 231-77 or 630-79)
- Phone call (from: 1-877-725-9111)
- Social Media (Facebook and Twitter)
- RSS (Real Simple Syndication)
- PSU Mobile App (m/pdx.edu)
- PSU Website (www.pdx.edu)
- Call-in line (503-725-3000)
- Broadcast voicemail to PSU Phones
- Flash Alert
PSU students, faculty and staff must opt-in to receive PSU Alert messages via text message or phone call. PSU encourages all students, faculty and staff to register for the PSU Alert system.
To update your PSU Alert preference, follow these steps:
- Log in to Banweb with your Odin username and password.
- Select Personal Information.
- Select PSU Alert Emergency Notification System.
- Fill in or update your information.
- Save your preferences.
Note: All @pdx.edu email addresses are automatically enrolled and can not be removed.
Jan 13, 2016: Threats of Violence Against PSU Community
Feb 19, 2016: Crime Alert: Robbery/Vehicle Break-ins
Jul 13, 2016: Information
Sep 30, 2016: Sexual Assault
Oct 10, 2016: Harassment
Nov 07, 2016: Assault Suspect
Dec 05, 2016: Armed Robberies
Jan 5, 2015: Person of Interest
Feb 12, 2015: Assault on Campus
Apr 03, 2015: Sex Offender Arrested
Jul 29, 2015: Carjacking/Kidnapping on Campus
Jan 19-26, 2014: Vehicle Break-in
May 21, 2014: Armed Subject
Jun 01, 2014: Sexual Assault
Jun 25, 2014: Harassment
Jul 31, 2014: Wanted Subject
Aug 01, 2014: Wanted Sex Offender Notification
Feb 04, 2013: Magazine Fraud
Feb 25, 2013: Forcible Fondling
Mar 25, 2013: Safety Alert for Broadway Housing
Apr 21, 2013: Broadway Housing Safety Alert
Apr 27, 2013: Female grabbed in NH
Jun 07, 2013: Suspect Arrested
Jun 08, 2013: Assault in Neuberger Hall
Jul 02, 2013: Physical Harassment
Oct 02, 2013: Identity Theft Safety Alert
Nov 18, 2013: Check Fraud
Dec 05, 2013: Robbery
Dec 11, 2013: Attempted Robbery: Assault
Jan 12, 2012: Assault near Shattuck Hall
Apr 25, 2012: Threats of violence against the PSU Community
May 05, 2012: Sexual assault at University Place Hotel
May 10, 2012: Suspicious package at Market Center Building
May 21, 2012: Suspicious package
Jun 11, 2012: Male with gun near Parking Structure 3
Jul 20, 2012: Subject Excluded from Campus
Nov 14, 2012: Gas Leak on 4th and Lincoln
Nov 26, 2012: Sexual Assault
Dec 24, 2012: Safety Alert
Dec 20, 2011: Sexual assault in ASRC
Dec 07, 2011: Incident in Parking Structure