As COVID-19 pandemic restrictions change and allow for more in-person activities, Portland State welcomes members of the community back to its campus in the heart of downtown Portland. PSU is dedicated to advancing community engagement while at the same time protecting public health. In line with those principles, PSU has adopted new requirements for PSU students and employees attending certain types of events and a vaccination requirement for non-PSU attendees for in-person events that take place on campus.
As a reminder, everyone must wear a mask while attending indoor, in-person events. Masks are also required at outdoor events where social distancing is not possible.
For event attendees
Indoor, in-person events where all attendees will be PSU students and employees do not require a vaccination verification or PSU ID.
PSU requires that PSU students and employees present their PSU ID to attend an indoor, in-person event on campus that attracts more than 100 attendees that have a mix of both PSU and non-PSU attendees. These events will advertise the PSU ID requirement in their event communications.
PSU requires that non-PSU attendees 12 years and older show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a recent negative COVID-19 test to attend indoor, in-person events held on campus that will be attended by more than 100 people. These events will advertise the vaccine requirement in their event communication.
Valid proof of COVID-19 vaccination is either a hard copy or a picture of a vaccination card showing a vaccine series was completed at least two weeks prior to the event date. Documentation of a recent (within the last 48 hours) COVID-19 test with a negative result is either a printout or picture of results that include your name and test date.
For event organizers
For the vast majority of indoor, in-person events, event organizers won’t have to add any new verifications to host an event at PSU. In a few specific instances, new checks and verifications are required.
If your indoor, in-person event is open only to PSU students and employees, no new checks or verifications are required.
If your indoor, in-person event is open to a mix of PSU students and employees as well as non-PSU people and you expect more than 100 attendees, you are required to check the PSU IDs of PSU students and employees and proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a recent negative COVID-19 test of non-PSU attendees.
The following event types are required to check the PSU IDs of PSU students and employees and proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a recent negative COVID-19 test of non-PSU attendees.
- Partnership events — events that are co-hosted by a PSU department and an external entity or that are sponsored by a PSU department on behalf of an external entity
- PSU Athletics competitions held on the PSU campus
- External events — events hosted by a third-party and/or; when a non-PSU entity rents PSU space)
- Or any other events not listed above that meet the following criteria:
- Indoors and
- More than 100 people attending and
- With a mix of attendees (both PSU and non-PSU)
Organizers of in-person events on campus that require a PSU ID and/or proof of vaccine may implement the requirements by:
- Contracting with private security to conduct verification at the door or entrance to the event. Event organizers who choose this method can do so via Campus Events and Student Union, or
- Using the organizer’s own staff or volunteers to conduct verification at the door or entrance, or
- Conducting verification through a process in advance of the event, i.e., online pre-registration.
Event organizers should not make any record of a person's vaccination status through this verification process. This is intended to be a “point in time” verification, a “spot check,” and not a collection and retention of an individual’s vaccine status.
Event organizers should communicate to attendees in advance of their event what identification is required for entry, i.e., proof of vaccination, recent negative COVID-19 test, or PSU ID card.
Event organizers are required to provide their plan to accomplish PSU ID and/or vaccination verification to the PSU department through which they are working, for example:
- Campus Events and Student Union
- Student Activities and Leadership Programs
- Native American Student and Community Center
- Lincoln Hall (College of the Arts)
If you are not working with any of these PSU departments, send your event ID/vaccination verification plan to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Event organizers who wish to implement PSU ID or vaccination check for an event that does not meet the above criteria should submit a request to do so that includes an event description, rationale for the exception and an implementation plan to email@example.com.
Events held at the University Place Hotel and Conference Center are exempt from this requirement, as separate state-level COVID-19 guidance applies to hotels and conference centers.