Search Google Appliance

Graduation Checklist

At least one term before you plan to graduate or seek recommendation for a basic or standard license as a school counselor, you must meet with your advisor and complete the necessary paperwork (GO-12 or school licensure forms). At this meeting, the procedures for completing any remaining requirements such as thesis defense or comprehensive exams will be clarified. A Master's Degree Checklist outlining existing procedures has been developed. Please refer to this list when finishing up.

The necessary forms and information are available online.

Steps To Complete Forms Required For Graduation In Counselor Education

Application for Awarding of Master's or Doctoral Degree form:

  1. Complete the Application for Awarding of Master's or Doctorate Degree form online by the end of the first week of the term you intend to graduate. 
  2. Take completed form to the Office of Graduate Studies at XSB 184.

Please note: Instead of processing degree audits manually (GO-12 form), students will now use the degree audit reporting system (DARS). More information can be found at:

The GO 21 form

  1. Candidates who have taken PSU courses prior to admission or who are transferring courses from another institution must complete a GO 21 for those courses.
    1. List all required counselor education courses taken prior to admission or required courses being transferred in from a different institution.
    2. Do not list any prerequisites for admission into the program.

NOTE: Candidates who complete the forms incorrectly delay the posting of their degree.


  1. Apply for graduation (see above).
  2. If you have taken coursework at any other university and want to count it toward your PSU degree, ask your advisor for assistance in completing a GO-21 (Transfer of Credit) form. You may request transfer of up to one-third of your graduate credits, providing a grade of B or better was earned, subject to approval by the Graduate School of Education and the Office of Graduate Studies. Courses taken at PSU prior to admission count as preadmission credits and need not be indicated on a GO-21. Please remember that no course work more than seven years old at the time of graduation may be counted toward a master's degree. Upon completion of the GO-21 form, obtain your advisor's approval and then take it to the department in 204 GSE. NOTE: Courses graded P/NP may not be transferred.
  • Degrees will be processed several weeks after final grades are posted. Once degrees are processed they will appear on transcripts.
  • Typically two terms after graduation, graduates will be notified by mail how to order diplomas.