Search Google Appliance

Graduate Handbook

The purpose of this Handbook section of the website is to provide advisory information to help you all the way through the program to graduation. If you have any questions about this information please contact your advisor, as listed in your admission letter, or the CEE Main Office.


Program of Study Form

The Masters of Science program consists of two options. The first option involves a total of 45 credits, including 6-9 hours of thesis. The second option requires completion of 45 credit hours, including 4 hours of research project that includes a research report and technical presentation. Master’s of Science students must complete a thesis or research project conducted under the supervision of faculty.

Master of Science - Civil and Environmental Engineering

For those students who wish to pursue a coursework only option, we also offer a Master of Engineering.

Master of Engineering - Civil and Environmental Engineering

The Ph.D. program aims to educate technical experts to meet challenges related to enhancing infrastructure and the environment, and to teach students about conducting research and solving global problems existing in the Northwest.

Ph.D. - Civil and Environmental Engineering

Ph.D. - Systems Science

Pd.D. - Environmental Sciences and Resources

The Graduate Certificate in Transportation offers graduate education for those seeking to build upon their undergraduate training and expand their capabilities in the field. This is a joint program between the Nohad A. Toulan School of Urban Studies and Planning and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.


PSU Student Code of Conduct

Click here to review the PSU Code of Student Conduct and Responsibility.



Click here to learn how to register for classes.

Academic Standing

Click here to view information about academic standing.


Upon admission to the M.S. or Ph.D. program, students are assigned a faculty advisor in their specialty area. Students should meet with their advisor upon admission to the program, and as often as needed to assure adequate and accepted progress towards the degree. Study plan forms should be filled out with the advisor at the beginning of the program, kept on file in the CEE office, and modified as needed

. Coursework taken without advisor approval may not be accepted as part of a student's program.



Click here to calcuate your GPA.

Incomplete Grade (I)

The instructor may issue a grade of I (for Incomplete) when certain criteria have been met and satisfactory student-instructor arrangements have been made. (See "Incompletes" in the 2006-07 PSU Bulletin/Catalog.) I grades are not included when calculating GPA.

The deadline for completion of an Incomplete in an undergraduate course is one calendar year. The instructor may set a shorter deadline, which is binding. An agreement to a longer period is by petition to the Scholastic Standards Committee. Failure to make up the Incomplete by the end of one year will result in the mark of I automatically changing to a grade of F or NP, depending on the grading option chosen by the student at registration.

Repeat Policy

Grades earned in all courses remain on students' permanent academic records; however, University policy holds that repeated courses affect the calculation of official G.P.A. as follows:

  1. Credit is retained on the first A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, and all grades in subsequent attempts are included when calculating G.P.A., and
  2. the first PSU grade of D+, D, D-, or F is excluded in calculating G.P.A. if the course is repeated at Portland State University for a differentiated grade (not Pass/No-Pass). Credit is retained on the last grade received.

Students who have repeated course work must submit a completed Notice of Repeated Course form to the Registration windows in the lobby of Neuberger Hall to ensure that an initial D or F grade is excluded when calculating G.P.A. and that the official G.P.A. is reflected on student transcripts.


Curious to know how GPA is calculated? Click here to find out!


Computer Accounts and Access

  1. Go to Neuberger Hall and purchase a PSU ACCESS BADGE
  2. Activate your after hours building access and computer lab (EB 325) with the Office of Student Services in the Engineering Building suite 100
  3. Activate your  College of Engineering and Computer Science account ‘cecs’ with the CAT (computer action team)
  4. Check your ‘cecs’ e-mail account regularly or forward it to where you do check e-mail


Office of Graduate Studies

Click here for more information about graduate studies.



What is commencement?

Commencement is a ceremony. It is an opportunity for you, your family, friends, and the PSU community to celebrate your accomplishment. Portland State holds 2 commencement ceremonies each year, at the end of the Spring and Summer terms. Commencement should not be confused with graduation, a term that refers to the actual fulfillment of degree requirements and credits resulting in a diploma being processed.

How do you determine if you are eligible for commencement? 

If you are graduating in the Fall, Winter, Spring or Summer of that academic year you may participate in the Spring graduation ceremony.  Doctoral candidates must be certified by the Office of Graduate Studies before participating in the Spring or Summer Commencement ceremony.   

For more information, please contact the Commencement Office at or (503) 725-4422

Applying for a degree

Master's, doctoral and graduate certificate program students must apply for a degree one quarter prior to their expected date of graduation. Advanced degree and graduate certificate candidates should see their adviser and the Graduate Studies Office concerning graduation requirements and clearance.

Application for Awarding of Master's or Doctoral Degree

Application for Awarding of Graduate Certificate

The degree application fee for each degree and/or certificate is $20 and is nonrefundable. Submit completed forms to the Office of Graduate Studies.

Graduate Degree Application Deadlines

(To be updated)

For more information about Degree Applications, visit the Degree Requirements office in Neuberger Hall 104 or call 503.725.3438.

Leaves of Absence

A student admitted to a graduate program may petition for leave of absence for up to one calendar year without needing to reapply to the program. Application for leave of absence, signed by the CEE chair must be filed in the Office of Graduate Studies at the beginning of leave term. A leave of absence is granted only to graduate students in good standing and does not constitute a waiver of the time limit for completion of the graduate degree at PSU.