B.S. Program in Civil Engineering
The educational objectives of the Civil Engineering program at Portland State University are as follows:
Graduates are expected to practice civil engineering responsibly and ethically by (1) working effectively in the professional engineering community and (2) continuing to learn and enhance their abilities in civil engineering.
B.S. Program in Environmental Engineering
The educational objectives of the Environmental Engineering program at Portland State University are as follows:
Graduates are expected to practice environmental engineering responsibly and ethically by (1) working effectively in the professional engineering community and (2) continuing to learn and enhance their abilities in environmental engineering.
The Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering program objectives are consistent both with the mission and vision of the University, the Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science, and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Portland State University Mission:
- We serve and sustain a vibrant urban region through our creativity, collective knowledge and expertise.
- We are dedicated to collaborative learning, innovative research, sustainability and community engagement.
- We educate a diverse community of lifelong learners.
- Our research and teaching have global impact.
Portland State University Vision:
Portland State University leads the way to an equitable and sustainable future through academic excellence, urban engagement, and expanding opportunity for all.
Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science Vision:
To be the University of choice for high quality engineering education and research in partnership with regional industry and government.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Vision:
Our vision is that we will become the premier Civil and Environmental Engineering Department in the Northwest for students seeking excellence in education and research.
This vision will be achieved by:
1. Creating a nexus of Civil and Environmental Engineering research expertise and activities that are relevant to the Portland metropolitan area, the region and the international community.
2. Providing educational offerings that reflect an awareness of change in the global Civil and Environmental Engineering community.
3. Becoming a role model in sustainability and community engagement in our profession through our research, our undergraduate and graduate coursework, our capstone design experiences for our undergraduates and our administration of the Department.
4. Serving as a resource for the professional community in education, continuing education and research dissemination.
The Department’s vision is compatible with the College’s and University’s vision to provide quality educational programs for professional programs, such as civil engineering. Providing quality undergraduate education is at the core of the educational objectives of the Civil Engineering program.