Undergraduate Certificate Program International Business
International Business Certificate Overview
Acquire focused, marketable expertise in international business.
Portland State University’s undergraduate certificate in international business equips you to succeed in a world where virtually all business is global.
The international business certificate adds value to your business degree and sets you apart in the job market. You’ll develop specialized, highly marketable skills that complement your business major, including international business expertise focused on a specific industry, country, or region. The international business certificate includes the option of spending a term abroad.
With deep connections in Portland’s robust international business community and a diverse faculty that includes professors from six continents, PSU offers unique learning opportunities in international business. Whatever business concentration you choose, our international business certificate equips you with relevant expertise that can help you succeed in any profession or industry.
- On campus:
- 100% on campus
- 100% online
- Combination of online and on campus
CCertificate ProgramLocationsOn campusTotal Credits24-36Start TermAny
International Business Certificate: Why PSU?
- Global-facing business programs. PSU is known for its top-rated academic programs in disciplines, directly and indirectly, related to international business. From global supply chain management to social innovation, supply and logistics management, collaborative governance, and other fields, we have deep expertise in international business issues across a range of disciplines.
- World-class city. At PSU you’ll have direct access to companies that operate all over the world. Our international business students do internships and gain real-world experience with global leaders in sporting goods, retail, aircraft, healthcare, manufacturing, food and beverage, and other industries.
- Customizable program. You can tailor the international business certificate to fit almost any career objective. The program can support any business concentration, and you can focus your studies on virtually any industry, country, region, or language.
- Personalized advising and support. We set up our international business students to succeed by offering hands-on assistance of all kinds. If you need guidance in transferring credits, meeting language requirements, funding travel, securing internships, or anything else, you can find the help you need from knowledgeable and attentive advisors in The School of Business.
- Values-based university. PSU’s commitments to corporate responsibility, environmental sustainability, and social justice reinforce the international business program. Educating global citizens is a core part of our mission.
International Business Certificate Highlights
- Portland State named one of America’s “Most Innovative Universities” four consecutive years by U.S News & World Report
- One of fewer than 50 “Changemaker Campus” institutions worldwide, as designated by Ashoka U
- Diverse faculty from six continents
- Deep connections in Portland’s international business community
- Nationally ranked business school that holds elite dual accreditation in business and accounting from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
What can I do with a certificate in International Business Studies?
The international business specialization can give you a competitive edge in business, even if you don’t aspire to work abroad. U.S. companies of every size, in nearly every industry, are linked directly or indirectly with international markets, suppliers, and financiers. If you do have an interest in working abroad in the business sector, diplomacy, economic development, or nonprofit enterprise, our international business certificate can be another step toward your goal.
Students commonly choose our international business program to build specialized skills for careers in:
- Business Management
- Environmental Sustainability
- Nonprofit Leadership
International Business Studies Certificate Curriculum
The international business certificate has three academic components: world language, international business, and area studies/international economics. The international business component involves specific courses, but the other requirements can be met in multiple ways, creating maximum flexibility. You have the option of fulfilling the area studies component through a term abroad or an international internship.
Course offerings in the International Business certificate program include:
- International business
- International marketing
- International finance
- International economics
- International management
- Other approved courses
Undergraduate certificate programs are an additional sequence of coursework designed to further customize your business degree based on your interests or career goals. Our certificate programs are led by faculty who specialize in the certificate industry area, offering you additional access to resources and connections to industry. To learn more about adding a certificate to your degree, contact your academic advisor or the certificate program director.
Download the International Business Certificate Sequence Sheet (PDF).
- MKTG 376 International Business (4)
- MGMT 446 International Management (4)
- MKTG 466 International Marketing (4)
- FIN 456 International Finance Management (4)
- 12-24 credits of international economics, cultural studies, language
Portland State University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
One of less than 200 business schools worldwide — top 1% — to be accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the elite business school accreditation known internationally.