Announcements & Events
Black Studies is Hiring! - Student Coordinator/Peer Mentor
The Department of Black Studies is looking for a student coordinator/peer mentor to work with students pursuing a major, minor, or certificate in Black Studies, In addition, the individual will work building community among African American/African/Black students by serving as a liaison between the Black Studies Department and the new African American/African/Black Student Center.
The student coordinator/peer mentor’s primary duties will be to:
- Distribute Black Studies and African American/African/Black Student Center literature.
- Visit classrooms to announce special events sponsored by Black Studies Department and the Pan African Commons.
- Visit African, African American, Black student organizations at PSU to keep them informed about the Black Studies program.
- Help promote courses in Black Studies and other related departments and programs with a focus on African Americans/Africans/Blacks.
- 2.8 GPA or better
- Declared major or minor in Black Studies for at least one year OR has taken four or more courses in the Black Studies Department.
Must be able to:
- Work independently
- Speak before small audiences (i.e., classes, meetings)
- Follow directions
- Meet deadlines
8-10 hours per week with flexible hours
$12.00 per hour minimum depending on qualifications
Start date: May 2017
Submit application, resume, and the names of two references (i.e., employer, professor, volunteer organization) to Dr. Shirley A. Jackson, Chair, Department of Black Studies at email@example.com and Ms. Shanice Clarke, Program Coordinator, PSU African American/African/Black Student Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until position is filled.