Master of Science in Biology
See the current year's course bulletin for the Portland State University graduate degree requirements. Departmental specific requirements for an M.S. in Biology are:
Satisfactory completion of at least 45 credits of approved graduate-level courses required for a master's degree. Students must complete Bi 598 Graduate Research Prospectus, and Bi 599 Graduate Grant Writing in the fall and winter quarters following admission to the program.
- M.S. students must complete at least 30 credits in the field of biology.
- No more than 9 credits may be in Bi 503 Thesis.
- No more than a total of 12 credits may be in Bi 501 and Bi 505 Reading and Conference.
- No more than a total of 9 credits may be in Bi 507 Seminar.
- A maximum of 12 credits may be programmed as electives in fields related to biology in consultation with the degree adviser.
Successful completion of a final oral examination and a thesis is required. Full time students must complete their degree within 4 years of entry into the program.