Doctor of Philosophy in Biology
See the current year's course bulletin for the Portland State University graduate degree requirements. Departmental specific requirements for an Ph.D. in Biology are:
Prospective Ph.D. students are required to take Bi 598 Graduate Research Prospectus, Bi 599 Graduate Grant Writing, and Bi 520 Ethical Practice in the Life Sciences in the fall, winter, and spring quarters following admission to the program.
- Students must also complete 6 credits of Bi 607 Seminar
- 27 credits of Bi 603 Dissertation
- 39 credits of coursework at the 500/600 level and above.
- The student must also have taken a departmental comprehensive exam by the fifth quarter after entering the program, followed the next quarter by a formal defense of their Ph.D. prospectus.
- Students must complete their degree within seven years of entry into the program.
Successful completion of the degree is contingent on the completion of original research, and presentation of results in a public oral defense and production of a formal dissertation that is submitted to and approved by the student’s research committee and the University’s Office of Graduate Studies.