Academic standing

Academic standing is a performance category in which a student is placed based on the GPA in courses completed at PSU. In order to graduate from PSU a student must be in good standing.

Good Standing

In order to maintain good standing with the University, a student must maintain a minimum cumulative PSU GPA of 2.00.

Academic Warning

Any student who has 12 or more attempted credits and whose cumulative PSU GPA falls below a 2.00 will be placed on academic warning. A registration hold will be placed on the student's record until completion of an Online Academic Success Plan Workshop.

Academic Probation

Any student on academic warning will be placed on academic probation if at least one of the following requirements is not met:

  • Raise the cumulative PSU GPA to 2.00.
  • Earn a PSU GPA for the given term of a 2.25 or above.

Academic Dismissal

Any student on academic probation will be dismissed at the end of the term if at least one of the following requirements is not met:

  1. Raise the cumulative PSU GPA to 2.0.
  2. Earn a PSU GPA for the given term of a 2.25 or above.

If only the second of these requirements is met, a student will remain on academic probation subject to the same requirements as those specified above.

Note: If a student is academically dismissed from PSU, he/she is not permitted to register for any PSU courses.

Dismissed Students

Students who have been academically dismissed are ineligible to register for classes at PSU. In order to be reinstated to PSU, students MUST petition the Scholastic Standards Committee for formal reinstatement. The petition for reinstatement requires a personal statement, academic plan, any appropriate supporting documentation (e.g., medical, personal, etc.), and a letter of recommendation. Students will need to explain the circumstances that led to academic dismissal and the circumstances that would now lead to greater success in college. It is also useful to provide documentation supporting a student's situation.

Letters of recommendation are best written by faculty or advisors on campus (or on the campus where the most recent attendance occurred) who are familiar with students’ academic work and/or personal circumstances. Academic advisors can help clarify this process. Students who have declared majors should contact their college/school advisers; those who are undeclared/exploring majors should contact Advising & Career Services at 503-725-4005. It is a good idea to have the personal statement written and an academic plan developed before making an appointment with an advisor.

Many students who have been dismissed also have to petition for release of their financial aid. Students should contact the PSU Office of Student Financial Aid regarding their financial aid status.

Students who are reinstated are placed back on academic probation.