World Language Placement Test - WebCAPE
PLEASE NOTE: Starting June 1, 2013,students will have to pay a $10 fee to take the WebCAPE
The WebCAPE foreign language placement test is a computer adaptive language test authored by Brigham Young University.
- Read all instructions and information shown on this page.
Internet Explorer(PC): tools - internet options - advanced tab
Internet Explorer(Mac): file - preferences - web content
- Log into the WebCAPE. Choose Portland State University and select either French, Spanish or German link.
- Enter the requested user information and click the "continue" button to begin the Web CAPE placement test language that you have selected. You will receive a confirmation of the payment and testing instructions on your e-mail.
- After completing the test, PLEASE WRITE DOWN your numerical score. It will appear on the screen after you exit from the Web CAPE Test.
- Go to Foreign Languages Placement Page to receive placement recommendations based on your score on the Web CAPE test.
- Complete registration for the appropriate language course.
Before you begin, please keep in mind the following things:
- You DO NOT need to be an admitted student at PSU to take the test.
- The CAPE test will cover both familiar and unfamiliar material, because the goal is to find out what you do know and what you don't know.
Don't let this discourage you. If you aren't sure, make your best guess and move on. The test is designed to give you a number of opportunities to answer questions at different levels of skill.
- Because this test is used for placement purposes, we recommend only taking the CAPE test once per language. If you wish to repeat it, do not complete the test more than twice (total) for each language.
- Please note this exam is for your information only and WILL NOT become part of your record. Be sure to print out a copy of your score for advising purposes.
- If you want to waive the foreign language proficiency requirement for the BA or MA degree, please take the Proctored WebCAPE (http://www.pdx.edu/wll/webcape-for-french-and-spanish-foreign-language-requirement). A passing score on the WebCAPE placement exam will not waive the foreign language proficiency requirement.