Voyager is a financial aid benefit that is available to honor and support Oregon residents who served the nation as members of the National Guard or Reserves in an active duty capacity in a combat zone since September 11, 2001.
- Student must be admitted to Portland State University
Degree Choice and Enrollment Level
- Must be seeking initial bachelor’s degree only.
- Must be a fulltime student. Halftime student tuition benefits from the National Guard Tuition Assistance program cover the entire cost of halftime enrollment.
- Contact your financial aid office to see if distance education courses count towards the fulltime requirement.
- Member of National Guard or Reserves
- Called up to active duty and served in a combat zone since September 11, 2001.
- Must be an Oregon resident as defined by OAR 5800100030 through 5800100045.
- Student must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Assistance) annually.
- Student must maintain satisfactory academic progress for continued eligibility.
Length of Award
- Four years as a typical maximum for undergraduate programs with exception of a 5th year for students in approved programs such as engineering or architecture. Additionally, a maximum credit limit will be set at fifteen credits above the minimum number of credits required to complete the chosen degree.
- Voyager is a “last dollar award”. Qualifying National Guard and Reserves will be awarded a fee remission for no more than the difference between campus tuition and fees and expected military tuition benefits(the student is responsible for obtaining military tuition benefits). The combination of National Guard Educational benefits and Voyager will ensure that eligible recipients will not pay tuition.
- Benefits are not transferable to a spouse or other family member of the soldier.
- Application forms or process information available at campus financial aid offices.
- Portland State Student Financial Aid & Scholarships Office