Search Google Appliance

Guidelines for Spending FRINQ and/or Capstone Course Fee

Guidelines for Spending FRINQ and/or Capstone Course Fee
All faculty are in charge of preparing their own personal reimbursement request form:

Once you have completed and signed your personal reimbursement form, please submit the form as well as your original receipts to Sara Lin (University Studies Accountant, CH 122C / ext. 5-9895).

Only State employees can be reimbursed. Students will not get reimbursed by PSU.

PSU will only reimburse the faculty of record for each FRINQ and Capstone course. Therefore, only the faculty of record should purchase supplies for the course. Please do not ask your students to purchase materials.

University Studies prefers that each faculty member submits all of their receipts at one time when possible.

PSU requires that all receipts be processed within 60 days from date of purchase.

PSU requires that all online purchases be delivered to a PSU address. Faculty must submit original proof of payment (receipt) and proof of delivery (packing list), or they will not be reimbursed.

Any guest speakers or any individuals providing a service for a course must be paid via Portland State University through a personal service contract. Faculty cannot be reimbursed for payments made directly to individuals for services rendered. See Sara Lin if you have any questions on how to pay a guest speaker.

There are strict guidelines for issuing a personal service contract. Completed paperwork must be signed by all (department and guest speaker) and submitted to Sara Lin three weeks prior to commencement of work.

Generally, Course fees should be charged when there is a tangible end product retained by the student, or has extraordinary costs. Source:

Examples of Appropriate Uses Include the Following:

  • Group travel costs such as gas and mileage reimbursements not including food
  • Admission and rental fees to off-campus educational facilities
  • Rental or use fees for specialized equipment used exclusively for instruction
  • Off campus field trips or specialized equipment and facilities use
  • Private instruction such as one-to-one study with an instructor for music performance
  • Expendable materials such as:
    • Materials of a specialized nature not readily available in retail stores.
    • Materials that can be purchased by the department in large quantities at significant cost savings to the students
    • Materials that must conform to certain specification and be identical for all students
    • Expensive materials needed by each student in such small quantities that they could not normally be purchased economically in such quantities
      • Technology expense fees that are beyond the expected basic technology services as defined by the university
      • Selected expenses such as:
  • Art class models for hire, musical accompanists, and mock patients for clinical practice classes
  • Supervisory instruction (including travel) for in-context training classes such as onsite student teaching, social work practicum and clinical experience
  • Refundable deposits for expensive equipment or apparatus that is temporarily entrusted to the students’ care
  • Fees may not be charged for the cost of graduate assistants or adjuncts who are instructors of record
  • Course fee balances should not be carried forward from year to year except where accumulation is necessary to replace bulk supplies and/or specialized equipment
  • External User Fees:
      • Fees may not be discriminatory
      • Room rentals must have approval of the university planning office to determine if there is a possible conflict with public vs. private use
      • Academic units may not engage in activities managed by self-support auxiliary operations (such as parking, vending, leasing space, etc.)


    If you purchase any supplies from one of the following vendors, you must contact Sara to obtain the Index Code for billing. You must use the departmental Index Code, rather than any other form of payment for the following vendors.

    Each time you use the Index Code at these vendors, you must contact Sara Lin, so that she can track these expenditures. Sara will need a receipt submitted to her for every index code purchase.

    If you have any questions, please contact Sara Lin at 503-725-9895 (

    These vendors include:

    • Clean Copy
    • Kinkos
    • Staples

    Examples of Inappropriate Uses Include:

    • Awards or prizes
    • Alcoholic beverages
    • Books that are not kept by the student
    • Gifts or flowers
    • Party supplies or decorations
    • Materials for community partner
    • Gift cards or gift certificates
    • I-pods, digital cameras, printers and other forms of technology that UNST already owns and faculty can check out from the department.