On many sites on pdx.edu, you find a link block in the left sidebar. Notice that a link block is separate from secondary navigation:
Use a link block when you need to present links to external sites or resources since these kinds of links do not belong in the site menu. A much less common use is to expose links to frequently visited internal pages that would normally take several clicks to get to through the site menu.
Create a Link Block
To create a link block from the Dashboard, click the Add Link Block link. Alternatively, to create a link block from the Content screen, click the Add content button, and then click the Link Block link. Either way, you should see a blank Create Link Block form.
- In the top Title field, enter a heading for the link block.
- Useful Links is a common heading for a list of external links.
- Quick Links is the suggested heading for a list of internal links.
- In the Link section, enter the text that will display as a link in the Title field.
- If linking to a file, include the file extension in parenthesis, like so: Working with Grids (PDF).
- Also in the Link section, enter the link destination in the URL field.
- For external links, use an absolute URL (including http://...).
- For internal links, the destination page alias is sufficient). For example: working-with-files (rather than the full URL http://stage.pdx.edu/website-training/working-with-files).
- To add more links, click the ADD ANOTHER ITEM button and complete the Title and URL fields that appear.
- [optional] Adjust the position of links by clicking and dragging the plus sign to the left of each link title.
- To finish, click the Save button.
In the notification area, you see a message indicating that the block has been created and a link to the block configuration page. But wait, your role as a content manager doesn't include access to the block configuration page. The UComm web team will work with you to get the link block placed. Send email to the team that includes the block title and a list of URLs you'd like to see the block appear on.
Once the block has been configured to appear, editing is easy...
Edit a Link Block
When you're logged in to your site and hover over an existing link block that appears on a page, a little gear icon appears.
- Click the gear icon.
- Click the Edit option.
- Edit existing links.
- To remove a link, empty the corresponding Title and URL fields. Don't worry about leaving gaping holes in the list. Drupal will eliminate the spaces when the list is saved.
- To add a link, enter text and a URL in the blank Title and URL fields. To add more than one link, click the ADD ANOTHER ITEM button, which generates another empty Title and URL field row.
- Click the Save button.
Please direct comments and questions regarding this FAQ to the UComm web team. Feedback is encouraged and appreciated.