The Office of University Communications encourages PSU departments and groups to become involved in social media. Before you get started, please review the following to help you determine whether or not to have a presence:
- Who will be responsible for populating, maintaining, and monitoring your site?
- Do they have the time, resources, and energy?
- Are they students? What happens when they leave?
- What do you want to accomplish?
- Are you promoting your department or communicating externally?
- Are you trying to reach alumni, prospective students, or media?
- How will you define and measure success?
- Could success mean increased traffic to your web site? Better communications with prospective students?
- What kind of tools will you use to track success?
- Who is your primary audience? Students? Alumni? Donors?
- Do you have secondary audiences too?
- What are people saying about you?
- Who is talking?
- Where are they talking?
- What content will you share?
- Is it news updates? Videos? Images?
- Since it is social, your content shouldn’t always be about you and will need to be about your users. Will you solicit input from your users?
- How will you visually convey the story of your department?
- How will you identify your affiliation with Portland State?
- Contact University Communications for assistance with your own brand
- What’s your timeline to conduct an evaluation of your site’s success?
- Be prepared to realign your site’s content - it’s alright to make mistakes. One of the beauties of social media is trial and error. Learn from your mistakes and proceed.
- Ensure that regular evaluation is part of your efforts