Robert and Normandie Holmes Endowed Travel Fellowship
2014 Information and Application
Purpose: To provide an Art History student with a travel stipend for the purpose of engaging in academic research related to art history. Travel must take place outside of the Portland, Oregon, area.
1st Deadline: February 1, 2014. You need to submit your general scholarship application to the University online via Scholarships.
2nd Deadline: March 1, 2014. Your application must be submitted to the School of Art + Design office by 5 p.m. in order to be considered. Please contact Prof. Sue Taylor if you have any questions.
Applications are also available in the Art office, Art Building Room 110.
Your application should include the following:
- Anticipated graduation date
- GPA in major
Provide names and contact information for two academic references. Make sure to contact them in advance to confirm they are willing to speak on your behalf.
Include a double-spaced essay of no more than 500 words that addresses the following:
- Educational purpose of travel
- Description of educational objectives/research
- Previous travel experience
- Proposed budget
- Statement of financial need
- A tangible outcome, such as a thesis project, a writing sample for a graduate school application, or a manuscript for submission to a student publication
Here's a sample of a prior winning award essay which should give you an idea of how to approach the topic.