New Commedia Class in Summer Term
Do you love sketch and improv-based comedy? Try it out in a low-stress workshop that traces the roots of comedy back to Renaissance Italy through an exploration of Commedia dell’Arte. This historical, yet raw-and-ridiculous form draws on familiar stock characters, improvised dialogue and physical comedy to create original scenes, much like the character driven sketch comedy that remains popular today. In this class you will:
• Challenge your physical boundaries
• Adopt the Commedia stock characters
• Learn how to improvise
• Practice acting with a real Commedia mask
• Write your own lines
• Participate in all-star cast
• Exercise your voice
• Create your own connections between Commedia and modern-day comedy
No previous acting experience is required. The class is open to all students and public interested in theatre, play and creativity.
Check out this and other summer course offerings from Theatre and Film. The full summer schedule is available online April 21, 2014. Registration begins May 5.