Undergraduate sustainability programs are offered by the following departments and schools:
- University Studies
- Environmental Sciences and Management
- Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science
- School of Urban Studies and Planning
University Studies: The Secret Behind Our Students' Success
- Freshman Inquiry: Sustainability - The focus of this course will be on exploring the possibility of maintaining a sustainable relationship between human communities and the natural world. Watch this video to learn more.
- Sophmore Inquiry: Environmental Sustainability - This cluster creates a bridge between the scientific approach to analyzing and solving environmental problems, the socioeconomic concerns involved in formulating and administering environmental policy, and historic and philosophical basis of humanity's relationship to ecosystems.
- Sophmore Inquiry: Global Environmental Change - Students are barraged on a daily basis with news stories of El Nino, global warming, CO2 increasing, greenhouse effects, ozone hole, etc. This cluster will introduce some of the scientific concepts and issues of natural global cycles and how the systems have changed in the past.
- Senior capstones - Sustainability related capstone courses include Addressing the Food Gap at p:ear, Being an Effective Change Agent, Direct Democracy-Society and Environment, Effective Environmental Interpretation, Grantwriting for Environmental Advocacy, Portland's Water: History and Challenges, Solid Waste Reduction, Reuse, and Recycling, Sustainable Food Systems and Educational Farms, Sustaining Oregon's Communities and Landscapes, The Natural Food Industry and the Cooperative Business Model, Volunteer Stream Monitoring.
Environmental Sciences and Management
- Major: Environmental Studies - focuses on resource management and policy with study in the natural sciences, social sciences, geography, and environmental policy.
- Major: Environmental Science - an interdisciplinary degree program that focuses on the natural sciences with an emphasis on environmental science, chemistry, biology and economics, and culminating in practical field experience working on projects in the university, metropolitan community, and region.
- Minor: Sustainability - an understanding of the multidisciplinary concepts and practices integral to sustainable living.
Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Major: Environmental Engineering - focuses on the fundamentals of environmental and water resources engineering with recommended tracks in geo-environmental, surface water hydrology and remote sensing, surface and groundwater water quality, groundwater hydrology, and air quality.
- Minor: Environmental Engineering - for students not majoring in Civil Engineering. The minor program is available to students in other related departments who wish to take the subset of environmental engineering courses that Civil Engineering students take for their major.
- Major: Mechanical Engineering - undergraduate program includes a track in building science with elective courses in Heating Ventilation and Air conditioning (HVAC), Building Science, Building Energy Modeling, and Solar Energy Engineering.
School of Urban Studies and Planning
- Major: Community Development - a process in which people act together to promote the social, economic, political, and physical well being of their community.
- Minor: Sustainable Urban Development - an overview and introduction the important concepts and issues facing urban planning and efforts to make cities sustainable.