Research Stimulus Program
2013 Sustainability Research Stimulus Program
Request for Proposals for 2013 has closed and awards were announced in December. Read about the awards here. Future Sustainability Research Stimulus Program opportunities will be listed here and promoted by the ISS.
The Institute for Sustainable Solutions (ISS) and Research and Strategic Partnerships (RSP) announce the opportunity to apply for competitive awards to support the development of research proposals for external funding. The purpose of these awards is to help individual researchers and research teams prepare and submit a proposal for funding. $50,000 is available to be awarded; no individual award will be larger than $5,000.
Priority will be given to:
- Applications from individuals or research teams that have identified a program announcement to respond to or have a documented indication of interest from a sponsor.
- Applications that advance the sustainability research areas of urban sustainability, ecosystem services, and social determinants of health.
- Applications that will support the development of proposals for amounts greater than $150,000 and include full indirect costs.
- Applications from research groups that are interdisciplinary and/or include non-PSU practitioner or academic collaborators.
The following are examples of some of the kinds of activities we hope to support:
- Honorarium for a consultant or mentor (e.g. former grant reviewer) to review and comment on a proposal or research design.
- Preliminary data collection to support a proposal.
- Reimbursement for travel to consult with a foundation, corporation, or program officer about a proposal.
- Support to hire a grant writer or student to help prepare a proposal.
- A meeting to bring together researchers who have an opportunity for collaborative grant writing that can’t be accomplished through Skype or other electronic means.
- Release time for a faculty member to write a proposal.
These are examples and not meant to be restrictive.
Items that will not be supported by this initiative:
- Books, journals, articles
- Long-term personnel support
You are eligible if you are a PSU employee, appointed at 0.5 FTE or greater and ranked in one of the following categories:
- Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor
- Research Assistant Professor, Research Associate Professor, or Research Professor
- Research Associate or Senior Research Associate
Research Stimulus Program proposal evaluation is based on the following:
- Clarity of research focus, project description, and timeline
- Alignment with the sustainability research area identified
- Funding target and F&A (facilities and administration) rate for submitted proposal
- Multi-investigator, multidisciplinary collaboration
- Project principal investigator/team record of success
- Leadership by junior faculty
If you have questions, please contact Jennifer Allen, firstname.lastname@example.org, 5-8546.