Students host series of events for PSU Sustainability Education Week
November 6-12, the student group Students for Leadership in Ecology, Culture & Learning (SLECL) is hosting a series of events for the PSU Sustainability Education Week.
The week's events are part of the national initiative created by the K-12 and Teacher Education sector team of the US Partnership for Decade of Education for Sustainable Development.
Last week, Governor Kulongoski signed a Proclamation in observance of Sustainability Education Week for the State of Oregon.
In its second year, PSU Sustainability Education Week builds upon collaborative relationships established last year as a sustainability learning and leadership community of practice.
On Friday, November 12, the keynote forum entitled "Notes from the Change Agentry Collective: How Social Architecture Informs Sustainability as a Driver of Large Scale Change" will be facilitated by sustainability catalyst, Douglas Cohen, Board Member & Chair of Youth Initiatives for US Partnership for Decade of Education for Sustainable Development.
Other featured events include:
- "Educating Students for Sustainability: Case Studies from Around the Country" national webinar and networking reception in partnership with Sustainable Oregon Schools Initiative
- "WakeUp: Awakening the Dreamer, Changing the Dream" youth symposium in partnership with Earth Wisdom Alliance and Generation Waking Up
- Learning Gardens Tour & Work Party in partnership with the masters program in Educational Leadership & Policy: Leadership for Sustainability Education
- "Kimchi & Drinking Vinegar: Make Your Own/Tasting" workshop in partnership with the Fermentation Society and Permaculture Guild
- Sustainability Education Panel in partnership with the Social Sustainability Colloquium
- The Women's Resource Center's Social Sustainability Month events
- The Institute for Sustainable Solutions's "Envisioning: Portland State as the Sustainable University of the Future"
SLECL's guiding vision for PSU Sustainability Education Week is to:
- Exemplify local, regional, national, and global models of Sustainability Education
- Create opportunity for dialogue, reflection, and taking action
- Build long-term collaborative learning teams
- Involve diverse sectors, organizations, and groups
- Convene multiple disciplines, cultures, and generations
- Inspire joyous, creative learning
The events calendar reflects partnerships with university, community, and national organizations to reflect diverse sustainability learning experiences all week long.
In alignment with sustainable event practices, SLECL strives to foster an "ecological systems waste culture" and encourages participants to bring their own cup, plate, cloth napkin, and utensils to events where snacks and beverages are offered.
For all event details, visit the SLECL Website.