Portland State University has selected the first round of energy efficiency upgrades to implement on campus through the University’s newly established Green Revolving Fund.
Through an initial $500,000 investment, PSU’s Green Revolving Fund supports projects on campus that reduce the University’s greenhouse gas emissions, result in lower utility bills, and advance climate action goals.
Savings to utility bills from implemented projects will be circulated back into the Green Revolving Fund and reinvested in future projects, creating a self-sustaining funding source for energy and water efficiency projects on campus.
The first round of funded projects includes:
- Urban Center Building: Upgrade lighting and control systems with automatic sensors that turn off lights and reduce airflow in unoccupied rooms.
- Core Campus Buildings: Activate early morning temperature controls in the buildings, allowing for quicker, more efficient warming or cooling.
- Hoffman Hall: Replace existing lighting fixtures with LED bulbs, reducing energy consumption and improving light quality.
- Millar Library, East Hall, and Cramer Hall: Replace toilets with water saving fixtures that require fewer gallons per flush. Install low flow aerators in sinks.
- University Center Building and Millar Library: Optimize performance of heating and ventilation systems for increased comfort and energy efficiency.
The Green Revolving Fund demonstrates PSU’s commitment to aggressively pursuing the University’s Climate Action Plan, which calls for PSU to become a carbon neutral campus by 2040.
“This first class of projects illustrates the kind of work the Green Revolving Fund will allow us to do on campus,” said Jenny McNamara, campus sustainability manager. “Each of these improvements will result in emissions avoided and money saved, which will bring us closer to our climate action goals and feed the fund for future work.”
PSU President Wim Wiewel, who signed PSU’s Climate Action Plan in 2010, was recently selected as the next chair of the American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) Steering Committee, guiding climate action efforts on 680 university campuses across the country.
Learn more about PSU's Green Revolving Fund at pdx.edu/planning-sustainability/green-revolving-fund