Sustainability at PSU
Student Affairs is committed to incorporating sustainability into our university initiatives. The Sustainability Leadership Center is located within the division and coordinates student engagement and leadership opportunities for students who want to engage in sustainability activities during their education at PSU.
The Sustainability Leadership Center (SLC) launched on July 1st, 2009. The SLC reports jointly to Student Affairs and the Institute for Sustainable Solutions and is managed by Heather Spalding, PSU's Sustainability Leadership and Outreach Coordinator. Our program is funded in full by a generous donation from the Miller Foundation. The Center coordinates engagement, inclusion and leadership development within the student body in relation to sustainability. We are here for you!
Our Vision: To be recognized as a living laboratory for sustainability leadership as we prepare students to utilize their educations to create a society that encourages fair and equitable distribution of resources among all communities of Earth.
- Enhance student success by fostering sustainability engagement and leadership opportunities
- Encourage collaboration between students, staff and faculty in the organization, planning and creation of our University through hands-on learning and civic ecology
- Ensure that students develop the appropriate knowledge, skills, and values to act as leaders in their future careers, lifestyle choices and local and global communities Sustainability Leadership Center
You can visit the Sustainability Leadership Center between Monday-Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. We are located on the first floor of the Market Center Building at SW 4th Ave. and Market Street. It's a white building with dark windows just north of the Cyan condos. Here's a map. You can also contact us with any sustainability-related questions at email@example.com or by phone at 503-725-5598. We hope to meet you soon!
For more information on our green campus and ways to get involved in sustainability on campus visit the Portland State Institute for Sustainable Solutions website.
Promoting PSU's Campus Sustainability Pledge Project Partners: SLC, Campus Sustainability Office, PSU Recycles, Residence Life, International Mentor Program, University Studies and Freshman Inquiry (FRINQ), and the Environmental Club.
Successful Initiatives We Have Created
- Student Permaculture Garden
- The GreenSpace Student Sustainability Hub
- The Sustainability Leadership Center
- Women’s Resource Center Sustainability Task Force
- Environmental Club
- Earth Week (started in 2008)
- The EcoWiki and EcoWiki Bulletin
- Sustainability Volunteer Program
- Graduation Sustainability Pledge
- Sustainability Leadership Workshop
- Campus Sustainability Pledge (in progress)
Data Tracking and Planning Participation
- Sierra Cool Schools Rating
- Addition of sustainability into the National Survey of Student Engagement at PSU
- 2008-09 annual report
- Climate Action Plan
- Envisioning: PSU as the Sustainable University of the Future