Search Google Appliance

Transfer to the MSW Program

The School of Social Work may admit students who are currently attending another accredited school of social work and have successfully completed graduate coursework. In reviewing an application, we look for students who have experience in or related to social work prior to beginning their social work studies and have demonstrated strong academic and field performance. Students are notified of admission in late April for admission in the fall. We do not admit mid-year to the MSW program.

The MSW at Portland State University is a 78 credit-hour program. Up to 36 credits may be transferred into the MSW program (P/NP courses are not transferable).  In most cases, transfer students who have completed the generalist year of field work will not be required to take those credits.  As a transfer student, 42 credits must be completed in residency at PSU. Completion of this coursework may take more than one academic year. After admission, coursework will be evaluated for comparability to required PSU courses. After admission, an individual course of study plan will be developed.

To apply please provide:

  • A completed MSW application -- available through the SSW Admissions page.
  • A completed PSU graduate application -- available through the PSU Admissions page.
  • Study plan from current MSW program.
  • A statement from your current MSW program indicating you are in good academic standing.
  • Letter of reference from MSW Field Instructor.
  • Field placement evaluation if applicable.
  • Syllabi for all coursework completed or in process.

If you have questions about transferring to PSU, email Janet Putnam, Director of Student Affairs and Admissions.