Transfer to the MSW Program
The School of Social Work may admit students who have successfully completed MSW coursework in another accredited school of social work. In reviewing an application, we look for students who have experience in or related to social work prior to beginning their social work studies and have demonstrated strong academic and field performance. Students are notified of admission in late April for admission in the fall. We do not admit mid-year to the MSW program.
The MSW Program requires 78 credit-hours. Up to 36 credits may be transferred into the MSW program (P/NP courses are not transferable). In most cases, transfer students who have completed the generalist year of field work will not be required to take those credits. As a transfer student, 42 credits must be completed in residency at PSU. Completion of this coursework may take more than one academic year. After admission, coursework will be evaluated for comparability to required PSU courses. After admission, an individual course of study plan will be developed.
To apply please provide:
- A completed MSW Program Application
- Study plan and syllabi for all coursework completed or in process from current MSW program.
- A statement from your current MSW program indicating you are in good academic standing.
- Letter of reference from MSW Field Instructor.
- Field placement evaluation, if applicable.