We are no longer accepting MSW applications for Fall 2013.
The School of Social Work admits applicants once a year to the MSW Program starting fall term only (summer for Advanced Standing program). We do not offer deferment of admission, but retain applications for one year, for use in reapplication. Applications must be postmarked no later than Jan. 4, 2013 for Advanced Standing and Feb. 1, 2013 for all other applications.
See our different Study Options to find out more about the MSW Program.
Many of your questions can be answered by visiting MSW Frequently Asked Questions.
Application to the MSW Program is a two step process, in which applicants will need to complete:
- School of Social Work MSW Application
- Portland State University graduate application
Step 1: Apply to the School of Social Work
The School of Social Work prefers that applicants use the online application, but legible, hand-written applications are acceptable. Please thoroughly read the application instructions.
- Online MSW Application: This application allows you to save a partially completed application form and complete it later. Please note: This does not officially submit your application to the School; rather your application must be sent by postal mail or dropped off at the School with your signature and all application materials.
- Downloadable PDF Application for the Portland Campus Option.
- Downloadable PDF Application for the Distance Option (Bend or Eugene).
- Additional PDF Application Materials (also available through the Online Application):
Step 2: Apply to Portland State University
In addition to the application to the School of Social Work, you must apply separately to Portland State University's Office of Admissions as a gradute applicant. Visit the PSU Office of Admissions website for instructions and to fill out the graduate application.
Supplementary Materials and Procedures
Special circumstances may require additional materials or procedures as follows:
- Advanced Standing Students: Individuals who have completed a BSW (Bachelors of Social Work) may be eligible to apply for the Advanced Standing Option, whereby the MSW can be completed in one year. See Applying for the Advanced Standing Option.
- Transfer Students: Individuals who have been attending an accredited Master of Social Work program may apply to transfer social work graduate coursework to PSU's School of Social Work. See Transfer to MSW Program.
- International Students: Individuals who are citizens of countries other than the United States are welcome to apply. See International Applicants.
- Reapplicants: Individuals who applied to the program within the last year can reactivate the application. Those who applied before that will need to submit a complete application. See Instructions for Reapplying.
Combined Degrees and Certificates
Several options are available for completing the MSW along with an additional certifcate or degree. These require supplementary application materials and/or procedures.
- Graduate Certificate in Gerontology: Students may complete the interdisciplinary Graduate Certificate in Gerontology offered in cooperation with PSU’s Institute on Aging with only a few credits more than the 78 credits needed for the MSW Program.
- MSW/Master in Public Health Combined Degree: Students are able to complete an MSW/MPH Combined Degree in three years of full-time study. See MSW/MPH Option (pdf) for course of study plans. Application must be made to each program.
- MSW/Ph.D. Combined Degree: Students who have a master’s degree in a field related to Social Work may complete a 136 credit combined MSW and Ph.D. Program. To be eligible for the combined program, applicants must meet the admission requirements and be accepted in both programs.
- International Peace Corps Masters: for more information follow this link.
Here are some reference materials about the application process: