Search Google Appliance


The School of Social Work admits applicants once a year to the MSW Program starting fall term only (summer for Advanced Standing program). We do not offer deferment of admission, but retain applications for one year, for use in reapplication.  

We are no longer accepting applications for Fall 2014.

Step 1: Apply to the School of Social Work

The following PDF documents will give you information about the 2014 application process: 

Visit What We Look For to learn more about how the MSW Admissions Committee reviews your application.

Step 2: Apply to Portland State University

In addition to the application to the School of Social Work, you must apply separately to Portland State University's Office of Admissions as a gradute applicant. Visit the PSU Office of Admissions website for instructions and to fill out the graduate application.


Supplementary Materials and Procedures

Special circumstances may require additional materials or procedures as follows:

  • Advanced Standing Students: Individuals who have completed a BSW (Bachelors of Social Work) may be eligible to apply for the Advanced Standing Option, whereby the MSW can be completed in one year. See Applying for the Advanced Standing Option.
  • Transfer Students: Individuals who have been attending an accredited Master of Social Work program may apply to transfer social work graduate coursework to PSU's School of Social Work. See Transfer to MSW Program. 
  • International Students: Individuals who are citizens of countries other than the United States are welcome to apply. See International Applicants.
  • Reapplicants: Individuals who applied to the program within the last year can reactivate the application. Those who applied before that will need to submit a complete application. See Instructions for Reapplying.

Combined Degrees and Certificates

Several options are available for completing the MSW along with an additional certificate or degree. These require supplementary application materials and/or procedures.

  • Graduate Certificate in Gerontology: Students may complete the interdisciplinary Graduate Certificate in Gerontology offered in cooperation with PSU’s Institute on Aging with only a few credits more than the 78 credits needed for the MSW Program.
  • MSW/Master in Public Health Combined Degree: Students are able to complete an MSW/MPH Combined Degree in three years of full-time study. An application must be submitted to each program. Please note the application deadlines, as they may be different.
  • MSW/Ph.D. Combined Degree: Students who have a master’s degree in a field related to Social Work may complete a 136 credit combined MSW and Ph.D. Program. To be eligible for the combined program, applicants must meet the admission requirements and be accepted in both programs.
  • International Peace Corps Masters: for more information follow this link.