Master of Social Work
Welcome! The Portland State University School of Social Work is ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report and is the only MSW degree offered in Oregon. Accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, the MSW Program will prepare you to become a professional social worker with the knowledge, values, and skills needed to serve individuals and families, transform communities, influence social policy, and promote social and economic justice. The MSW Program takes pride in offering diverse urban and rural learning communities as real-world laboratories for future social work practitioners and leaders. Our strong collaborative program is led by world-class faculty and dedicated staff who strive to support and prepare students to alleviate today's critical social problems.
The MSW Program is a 78-credit program which can be completed through the Portland Campus Option, the Online Option or in one of four Distance Option sites. The curriculum combines coursework and field education in a range of human service organizations, preparing students to work effectively with our increasingly diverse communities.
Portland Campus Option:
- Complete the MSW program in 2, 3 or 4 years, or in the Advanced Standing 1-year program.
- Select an Advanced Year concentration in one of the following: Clinical Social Work Practice, Practice and Leadership of Community Organization, Social Work with Children, Youth, and Families or Health Across the Lifespan.
- Have the opportunity to complete a dual degree, certificate program or a specialization track.
- Classes meet once weekly, with day and evening sections of required courses available.
- Complete the MSW Online Option in 3 years following a prescribed curriculum and cohort model.
- Study only the Community and Organizational Leadership practice concentration.
- Classes completely online, including periodic face-to-face meetings with faculty using technology.
- Come to the Portland campus for 3 days of community building and instruction before each academic year.
- Complete your field placement in or near your community of residence.
- Complete the Distance MSW program in 3 years following a prescribed curriculum and cohort model.
- Distance sites located in Ashland, Bend, Eugene and Salem.
- Field placements in year two and three in your local community.
- Local Site Coordinators provide faculty advising, field placement and individual support.