Equity & Inclusion
Equity & Inclusion At the School of Social Work
School of Social Work Values
PSU is committed to the ongoing goal of advancing a culture of social justice, inclusion, and diversity with the entire School of Social Work community, and extending into all of its activities including teaching, research, service, and administration. Learn more about the School of Social Work Values Statement.
Equity, Inclusion, and Community Partnership Council
The Equity, Inclusion, and Community Partnership Council is comprised of Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community Members who spearhead the School of Social Work's commitment to social justice, equity, inclusion, cultural responsiveness, and community partnerships. The Equity, Inclusion, and Community Partnership Council provides leadership in regard to the following:
- Promote and support the ongoing recruitment and retention of students, faculty, and staff of color and other underrepresented groups in the SSW
- Recommend culturally-relevant curriculum that is reponsive to community needs, helping graduates be more effective, culturally-responsive, and socially-just
- Build and sustain reciprocal, collaborative, and mutually-beneficial partnerships between the SSW and communities
- Connect with and mobilize other stakeholders within the school, University, community, and systems around issues related to social justice, diversity, and equity
- Provide training and technical assistance for faculty, staff, field instructors, students, and other relevant stakeholders around issues related to social justice, diversity, and equity, including: skills-based training, organizational development, etc.
- Develop and support systems of accountability for social justice, equity, and inclusion work within and beyond the SSW
- Inform and coordinate with school-wide strategic planning efforts
If you are a student, graduate, or community member who is interested in joining the Equity, Inclusion, and Community Partnership Council, please email Marina Barcelo, Student Support & Inclusion Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students of Color Caucus (SOCC)
The Students of Color Caucus (SOCC) is a peer-led student group for CFS, BSW, MSW, and PhD students who identify as people of color. It aims to create an inclusive community and network for students of color in the School of Social Work. The group meets once monthly to hold space and have dialogues around topics relating to experience of people of color in academia, as well as racial disparities and social injustices. The SOCC also holds social gatherings outside of the school to build community and further support one another. If you are a SSW student who would like to be added to the SOCC email list, please email Marina Barcelo, Student Support & Inclusion Specialist, at email@example.com.
Student Support & Inclusion Specialist
Marina Barcelo, M.S.W., M.A.
Feeling overwhelmed by a classroom or field climate issue? Want to network with others? Wondering where to go for support, campus and community resources, mentors, academic assistance, or just a place to talk? Click here for a helpful chart detailing the resources available to SSW students and connect with Marina Barcelo!
Office hours: Monday 12-1pm, Tuesday 4-5:30pm, Wednesday 4-5:30pm, and Thursday 12-1pm.
Phone: (503) 725-5021
As our Student Support & Inclusion Specialist, Marina is here to make sure students have resources and support at the School of Social Work and around campus.