Become a Field Placement Site
The School of Social Work recognizes the need for field placements that provide a range of learning experiences in a professional environment, and welcomes community agencies who are interested in providing field placements to social work interns.
Qualifications for Field Agencies
- Recognized as responding to the needs of the community and consistently accepts the purposes, values, ethics and methods of social work.
- Personnel are committed to social work education and professional training.
- Accept that students are assigned to the field placement without respect to age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ability/disability status, economic class or national origin.
- Provide a qualified field instructor and assure that field instructor has sufficient time and resources within the work schedule to provide weekly supervision; develop learning opportunities; and prepare for conferences, reports, and evaluations.
- Accept students as developing social workers and will not use them to meet staffing needs nor withhold appropriate assignments because of student status.
- Provide appropriate facilities, equipment, and learning opportunities to the student.
Become a Field Instructor
Field instructors are our faculty in the field and ensure that the knowledge gained by students in the classroom translates to real change in peoples’ lives. Most field instructors are employed by the agency where the student is placed, though some field instructors provide off-site supervision for students placed in agencies that don’t have a social worker.
- To become a field instructor for the MSW Program, individuals are required to have an MSW degree and two (2) years post MSW work experience.
- To become a field instructor for the BSW Program, individuals are required to have either a BSW and two (2) years post degree experience, or an MSW degree.
Field Instructor Responsibilities
• Provide at least one hour of supervision per week
• Assist the student with the integration of coursework into practice and the development of social work competencies
• Act as a guide to the agency, providing the student with opportunities to meet employees and to collaborate within the program
• Keep student and faculty advisor liaison informed about progress or concerns that arise during the placement
• Assist the student with the development of their Educational Plan
• Complete the Field Evaluation each term, including recommending a grade
• Meet periodically with the faculty advisor liaison and student
• Insure the student has a consistent place to sit and the use of a telephone and computer while at the agency