Offer a Field Placement
The School of Social Work recognizes the need for field placements that provide opportunities for students to be exposed to a range of roles and skills, client populations, service delivery models, community resources and the development of social work competencies.
Qualifications for Field Agencies
- Respond to the needs of the community and consistently accept the purposes, values, ethics and methods of social work.
- Personnel are committed to social work education and professional training.
- Accept that students are assigned to the field placement without respect to age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ability/disability status, economic class or national origin.
- Provide a qualified field instructor and assure that field instructor has sufficient time and resources within the work schedule to provide weekly supervision; develop learning opportunities; and prepare for conferences, reports, and evaluations.
- Accept students as developing social workers and will not use them to meet staffing needs nor withhold appropriate assignments because of student status.
- Provide appropriate facilities, equipment, and learning opportunities to the student.
Become a Field Instructor
Social work field instructors assist students in understanding the breadth of social work practice and developing core social work competencies. Field instructors take responsibility for providing students with direct feedback about their performance within the placement. They teach social work practice skills by guiding students towards increasingly challenging learning opportunities, modeling appropriate roles and skills, and advocating for the student within the placement setting. Most field instructors are employed by the agency where the student is placed, though some field instructors provide off-site supervision for students placed in agencies that don’t have a social worker.
- To become a field instructor for the MSW Program, individuals are required to have an MSW degree and two (2) years post MSW work experience.
- To become a field instructor for the BSW Program, individuals are required to have either a BSW and two (2) years post degree experience, or an MSW degree.