March 7, 2013 The Yin and Yang of Clinical Supervision: Supporting Graduate Students in Off- Campus Placements
The Yin and Yang of Clinical Supervision:
Supporting Graduate Students in Off- Campus Placements
Professional Development Event Sponsored by the Directors of Clinical Education at Portland State University, Pacific University, and the University of Oregon.
Who should come:
- · Speech-language pathologists who have hosted or currently host graduate students for their off-campus placements
- · Speech-language pathologist who are interested in collaborating with Oregon universities to supervise students in the future
Where & when: We will offer the same workshop in two locations.
Portland State University, Portland - March 7, 2013 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm.
· Smith Memorial Student Union, room 296
· RSVP by March 1st, 2013 to Melinda Pomeroy at: email@example.com
· For a map go to: http://www.pdx.edu/campus-map
· For parking information go to: http://www.pdx.edu/transportation/
University of Oregon, Eugene - May 9, 2013 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm
· Room: TBA
· RSVP to Margit Mayr-McGaughey firstname.lastname@example.org by April 19th, 2013
Continuing Education Credit: Offered at .2 CEUs
Level: Introductory, Professional
Supervision of graduate students in the field of speech-language pathology is an integral part of every university graduate program. Supervisors from the community offer guidance and support in helping graduate students to become competent professionals. This workshop will explore the research on supervision, use of feedback and questions to guide students, generational considerations, how to plan out a semester or term, and roles and expectations for the university liaison, the supervisor and the supervisee. Finally the participants will be given the opportunity to ask questions of seasoned supervisors from a variety of settings.
At the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- · Describe the continuum of supervision
- · Describe how to use feedback and questions to guide students’ learning
- · Understand and take into consideration generational differences
- · Create and implement a plan for the semester or term
- · Integrate the experience and advice of seasoned supervisors into their own practice as supervisors
About the Speakers:
Margit Mayr-McGaughey, PhD, CCC-SLP, Ellen Reuler, MA, CCC-SLP and Claudia Meyer, MS, CCC-SLP are directors of clinical education for masters programs in speech-language pathology. The speakers are interested in advancing supervision in the community by sharing their expertise and research on supervision.
Dr. Mayr-McGaughey has no relevant financial or nonfinancial relationships to disclose.
Ms. Meyer has no relevant financial or nonfinancial relationships to disclose.
Ms. Reuler has no relevant financial or nonfinancial relationships to disclose.
Schedule: March 7th, 2013
6:15 p.m. Arrive
6:30 p.m. (90 minutes)
- · Continuum of supervision
- · Feedback and use of questions
- · Generational considerations
- · Planning for the semester or term
- · Roles, expectations and responsibilities for each participant
8:00 p.m. (30 minutes)
- · Panel of professionals
8:30 p.m. Evaluation and Adjournment